GENUKI Home page    Ecclesfield Ecclesfield  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: MIDDOP.     Church dedication: ST. JAMES.

Area, vide Ecclesfield. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, N.D. -Population, 292, vide Bradfield township *1; Chapel-room, 120 *2; Net value, 70 -This is an old Chapel, which was probably founded by the De Midhopes or the Barnbys, lords of this manor.

Patron, Lord Macdonald.

Valued in 1707 at 7. 13s. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 429, it is stated to be " Three miles from Ecclesfield. Maintenance, 6. 6s. 8d. per annum. To be made a parish, and Lang-side, in the parish of Penistone, being within a mile of it, and two miles from Penistone, to be divided from Penistone, and annexed to Midhope;" and in 1818, at 40 per annum.

Augmented in 1741 with 200; in 1767 with 200; in 1790 with 200; in 1810 with 200, from the Parliamentary grant; and in 1824 with 200, -all by lot.

An Inclosure Act was passed 58th Geo. III.

For the catalogue of Curates, see Hunter's Hallamshire, page 283.

There is no glebe house.

The registers for baptisms and burials commence in 1772.

Charities:
School. Bland's charity. A schoolhouse has been built, partly by subscription. The Rev. Thomas Bland, who died about the year 1819, bequeathed 153 to establish a free school for the instruction of eight poor children, whose parents should not have been dissenters, in reading, writing, and arithmetic. This legacy, together with 30 borrowed, was laid out in the purchase of 1a. 2r. 20p. of land, with two cottages and a barn erected thereon. -Vide 19th Report, page 572.

Post town: Barnsley.


References:
Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 309. Hunter's Hallamshire, page 282. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. pages 194-197.


Notes:
*1 This manor is understood to extend over portions both of the Chapelry of Bradfield and of the parish of Penistone, but the vill and Chapel of Midhope are in Bradfield.

*2 Returned in 1818 at 200.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014