GENUKI Home page    Sheffield Sheffield  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: SHEFFIELD SAINT JAMES.     Church dedication: SAINT JAMES.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Population, vide Saint Peter's; Church-room, 750; Net value, £160.

Patron, the Vicar of Sheffield.

Built by subscription, at an expense of about £3,000, in £50 shares, each of which entitled the subscriber to a pew, as a freehold inheritance. Consecrated 5th October 1789. In 1797, painted glass, by Peckett, representing the Crucifixion, was placed in the east window.

Augmented in 1824, with £300, and £300 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefactions of £200, and £200 by subscriptions.

No return as to registers.

There is no glebe house.

Parochial Charities. -No return.


References:
Hunter's Hallamshire, page 158.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015