GENUKI Home page    Sheffield Sheffield  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: SHEFFIELD ST GEORGE.     Church dedication: ST. GEORGE.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Population, vide St. Peter's; Church-room, 2,000; Net value, 365.

Patron, the Vicar of Sheffield.

Built under the Parliamentary grant. Architecture Gothic, with tower and pinnacles. 1,011 free sittings. Cost, 15,129. 9s. First stone laid 19th July 1821. Consecrated 29th June 1825.

The ground was consecrated for a public burial ground in 1817, but in consequence of a dispute which arose upon the subject of rates, it was not inclosed until some years afterwards.

No district has yet been assigned. No glebe house.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014