Population, vide St. Peter's ; Church-room, 1,200; Net value, £136.
Patron, the Vicar of Sheffield.
Built in 1720 by voluntary subscription, to which Mr. Robert Downes, a goldsmith in Sheffield, contributed £1000 and settled £30 a year for the support of a minister. Difficulties arose respecting the patronage, which were not removed until an Act of Parliament was obtained in 1740, and it was consecrated 22nd May 1740.
Augmented in 1833 with £200, £200, £200, £200, and £200 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefaction of £1,000 by subscriptions.
The Church is in the Grecian style of architecture. It contains a fine-toned organ, and a beautiful monument by Chantry, to the memory of the Rev. Alexander Mackenzie.
No district has yet been assigned.
No glebe house.
Hunter's Hallamshire, page 157.