GENUKI Home page    Leeds Leeds  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: WORTLEY IN LEEDS.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.

Area, vide Leeds. Leeds liberty. -Population, 5,944, vide Leeds; Chapel-room, 550; Net value, 147.

Patrons, trustees, of whom the lord of the manor is always to be one.

Impropriators, Trinity College, Cambridge.

Dr. Whitaker says the Chapel was built about 1780, principally under the influence of the lord of the manor, John Smyth, Esq. In consequence of a dispute about the patronage, it fell into the hands of the Dissenters, but in November 1813 was consecrated by the Archbishop of York.

Augmented in 1815 with 1,400 from the Parliamentary grant by lot ; and in 1816 with 300 and 300 to meet benefactions of 200 and 200 from the trustees of the chapel.

There is no glebe house.

An Inclosure Act was passed 3 and 4 Wm. IV.

No return as to registers. Marriages are celebrated at the mother church.

Charity:
Free School, founded by deed, dated 26th June 1677. Benefactors, Samuel Sunderland and William Farrer. Rent of 4a. 2p. of land and six cottages, to a master for teaching the children of the inhabitants of Wortley to read English or Latin. The Commissioners reported the annual income to be 24. 18s.; and the master is in the occupation of a school-house, garden, two crofts, and a close, worth about 16 per annum. Ten free scholars are now taught; for others a moderate charge is made. -Vide 15th Report, page 680.

Post town: Leeds.


References:
Whitaker's Loidis et Elmete, page 101. Thoresby, page 196.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014