A description of the East Riding of Yorkshire
from Bulmer's Gazetteer (1892)
EAST RIDING COUNTY POLICE.
By Section 9 of the Local Government Act, the police have been placed
under the joint control of the Quarter Sessions and the County Council, exercised
through a standing joint committee. The force consists of a chief constable, a
deputy chief constable, six superintendents, seven inspectors (including one clerk),
14 sergeants, and 83 constables.
- Chairman of Quarter Sessions and of Police Committee, The Hon. Arthur Duncombe,
Kilnwick Percy, Pocklington.
- Chief Constable, Major H. J. Bower.
- Deputy Chief Constable, Superintendent Thomas Wood, Beverley.
- Inspector and Clerk, John Sutherland.
- Head Quarters, Beverley.
- Superintendent, W. Winterbottom, Norton.
- Stations - Leavening, Norton, Billington, Settrington, Sherburn, Weaverthorpe.
- Clerk to the Justices - W. H. Pearson, Malton.
- Superintendent, W.H. Winpenny, Bridlington
- Stations - Bridlington, Burton Agnes, Filey, Flamborough, Hunmanby, Rudston, Wold Newton.
- Clerk to the Justices - W. Richardson, Bridlington.
BAINTON BEACON DIVISION.
- Superintendent, B. W. Kelsey, Great Driffield.
- Stations - Great Driffield, Hutton Cranswick, Kilham, Middleton, Nafferton,
Sledmere, Wetwang, North Frodingham, and Langtoft,
- Clerk to the Justices - John M. Jennings, Driffield.
NORTH HUNSLEY BEACON DIVISION.
- Superintendent, T. Wood, Beverley;
- Inspector, Wm. Cooper, Leven.
- Stations - Beverley, Cherry Burton, Lockington, North Newbald, Sigglesthorne,
Thearne, Bewholme, Hornsea, Leven.
- Clerk to the Justices - James Mills, Beverley.
- Superintendent, John Burniston, Sproatley.
- Inspector, John Don, Patrington.
- Stations, Aldborough, Hedon, Keyingham, Patrington, Paull, Sproatley,
South Skirlaugh, Sutton, Withernsea, Easington, Roos.
- Clerk to the Justices - G. B. Park, Hedon.
SOUTH HUNSLEY BEACON DIVISION
- Superintendent, D. Harvey, Welton;
- Inspector, G. Clark, Cottingham.
- Stations - Anlaby, Cottingham, Hessle, Kirk Ella, Newland, New Village,
North Cave, North Ferriby, South Cave, Weeton Parva, Welton, Elloughton.
- Clerk to the Justices - J. P. Chatham, Hull.
- Inspector, Thomas Weal, Howden.
- Stations - Bubwith, Eastrington, Howden, Laxton.
- Clerk to the Justices - G. England, Howden.
OUSE AND DERWENT DIVISION.
- Inspector, John Rawlings, Escrick.
- Stations - Cliffe, Dunnington, Escrick, Gate Fulford, Heslington, Riccall, Wheldrake.
- Clerk to the Justices - B. Holtby, York.
WILTON BEACON DIVISION.
- Superintendent, J. Farrah, Pocklington;
- Inspector, J. Hornby, Market Weighton.
- Stations - Bishop Wilton, Pocklington, Stamford Bridge, Everingham,
Holme-on-Spalding Moor, Market Weighton, Melbourne, Wilberfoss, Warter.
- Clerk to the Justices - T. Robson, Pocklington.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©CRH 2014