Genuki Logo

Yorkshire

East Riding Parishes
 

Previous
 

Next
 

Section Index

 Yorkshire

 East Riding Parishes
 

 Previous part
 

Next part
 

  Section
Index

A description of the East Riding of Yorkshire
from Bulmer's Gazetteer (1892)


Part 6

COUNTY COUNCIL.

This body was constituted in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Act of 1888, which decreed that in every administrative county, as defined by the Act, an elective body called a County Council shall be established, which shall be entrusted with the management of the administrative and financial business of the county, hitherto transacted by the magistrates at the Quarter Sessions. Under this Act, the Ridings of Yorkshire form separate administrative counties. The East Riding is divided into forty-seven divisions, each of which elects one councillor, and the borough of Beverley four. The municipal boroughs of York and Hull are, by this Act, constituted separate administrative counties under the title of County Boroughs. Each council consists of a chairman, aldermen (one-half of whom shall retire in rotation every third year), and councillors. The Act came into operation on the first of April, 1889. The meetings are held at Beverley.

Principal Officers:

Retire in 1891 -

Retire in 1894 -

Next Next Part


Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014