Genuki Logo

Yorkshire

North Riding Parishes
 

Previous
 

Next
 

Section Index

 Yorkshire

 North Riding Parishes
 

 Previous part
 

Next part
 

  Section
Index

A description of the North Riding of Yorkshire
from Bulmer's Gazetteer (1890)


Part 5

THE PARLIAMENTARY DIVISIONS.

Previous to the year 1832, the North Riding had no parliamentary representation separate from the whole county; but by the Reform Bill of that year two members were allotted to each Riding; the boroughs of Aldborough, Boroughbridge, and Hedon were disfranchised, and those of Northallerton and Thirsk were deprived of one member. Bradford, Halifax, Leeds, and Sheffield were constituted parliamentary boroughs with two members each, and Huddersfield, Wakefield, and Whitby with one member each. The Ainsty of York was for parliamentary purposes united with the North Riding. The Reform Act of 1868 deprived Richmond and Malton of one representative each, and conferred the electoral dignity on Middlesbrough, to which was allotted one member, but the Riding otherwise remained unaltered.

Under the Redistribution of Seats Act, 1885, the North Riding was divided into four Electoral Divisions, viz., Cleveland, Richmond, Thirsk and Malton, and Whitby. The boroughs of Malton, Northallerton, Richmond, and Thirsk were disfranchised, and amalgamated with the Parliamentary Divisions in which they are situated, and Scarborough was deprived of one member. The parishes and places comprised in each of these Parliamentary Divisions are described in alphabetical order under their respective headings in the following pages, and need not be here repeated.

The Representatives

REPRESENTATIVES. - Cleveland Division, Henry Fell Pease, Esq., J.P. & D.L., Brinkburn, Darlington; Stanhope Castle, Durham, and Reform and Devonshire Clubs, London, S.W. Richmond Division, George William Elliot, Esq., J.P. & D.L., Scruton Hall, Bedale; 1, Park Street, Park Lane, W.; Garrick Club, W.C., and Carlton and St. Stephen's Clubs, London, S.W. Thirsk and Malton Division, The Hon. Payan Dawnay, Beningbrough Hall, York; 51, Charles Street, Berkeley Square, W., and Guards', Carlton and Travellers' Clubs, London, S.W. Whitby Division, Ernest William Beckett, Esq., J.P., Kirkstall Grange.

The County Council

County Council. - This body was constituted in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Act of 1888, which decreed that in every administrative county, as defined by the Act, an elective body called a County Council shall be established, which shall be entrusted with the management of the administrative and financial business of the county hitherto transacted by the magistrates at the Quarter Sessions. Under this Act the Ridings of Yorkshire form separate administrative counties. The North Riding is divided into fifty three divisions, each of which elects one councillor, the Borough of Richmond one councillor, and the Borough of Scarborough six. The Municipal Boroughs of York and Middlesbrough are, by this Act, constituted separate administrative counties. Each council consists of a chairman, aldermen, one-half of whom shall retire in rotation every third year, and councillors. The Act came into force on the first of April, 1889, and the elections in the several divisions took place in the previous January. The first provisional meeting of the council for the election of a chairman, was held on the 27th of February, 1889, and at the subsequent provisional meetings the various arrangements and appointments were made to bring the Act into operation. Chairman - The Hon. John Charles Dundas, D.L., J.P., Mount St. John, Thirsk. Vice-Chairman - The Hon. George Edwin Lascelles, J.P., Sion Hill, Thirsk.

The Aldermen

Retire in 1891 -

Next Next Part


Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014