Genuki Logo

Yorkshire

North Riding Parishes
 

Previous
 

Section Index

 Yorkshire

 North Riding Parishes
 

 Previous part
 

  Section
Index

A description of the North Riding of Yorkshire
from Bulmer's Gazetteer (1890)


Part 9

NORTH RIDING COUNTY POLICE.

By Section 9 of the Local Government Act the police have been placed under the joint control of the Quarter Sessions and the County Council, exercised through a standing joint committee. The force consists of a chief constable, a deputy chief constable, 8 superintendents, 14 inspectors, 25 sergeants, and 153 constables. In addition to the above there are 2 sergeants and 22 constables paid for by private individuals.

Chairman of Police Committee, The Hon. George Edwin Lascelles. Chief Constable, Captain Thomas Hill; Deputy Chief Constable, Superintendent M. Walmsley; Clerk, Inspector William Smith. Head Quarters, Northallerton.

NORTHALLERTON DIVISION. - Superintendent, Moulding Walmsley, Northallerton. Stations - Ainderby Steeple, Borrowby, Brompton, Northallerton, Osmotherly. Inspector, Joseph Ellerby, Thirsk Detachment. Stations - Hawnby, Husthwaite, Feliskirk, Kilburn, South Otterington, Sowerby, Thirsk, Topcliffe, Coxwold, Kilburn, Thirkleby. Wath Section, Inspector, Albert Beswick, Wath: Stations - Dishforth, Kirklington, Kirby Hill, Wath.

HANG DIVISION. - Superintendent, T. Nicholson, Leyburn. Stations - Askrigg, Hawes, Hunton, Leyburn, Middleham, West Burton. Bedale Detachment, Inspector, John Holmes. Stations - Bedale, Catterick, Crakehall, Leeming, Masham, Well.

WHITBY DIVISION. - Superintendent, John Ryder, Whitby; Inspector, John Raine. Stations - Grosmont, Hinderwell, Lealholme, Lythe, Robin Hood's Bay, Ruswarp, Staithes, Whitby.

PICKERING LYTHE DIVISION . - Superintendent, James Spence, Pickering. Stations - Barugh, Lockton, Thornton, Wrelton. Inspector, George Dove, Falsgrave. Stations - Clayton, East Hayton, Scalby, Snainton Dale. Acting Sergeant, John Spare, Rosedale. Stations - Rosedale Abbey, Rosedale East Mines.

LANGBAURGH WEST DIVISION. - Superintendent, James Robert Hutchinson, South Stockton; Inspector, Thomas Silversides, North Ormesby. Stations - Eston, Acklam, Marton, Normanby, North Ormesby, South Bank. Sergeant, Simpson Harnby, Yarm. Stations - Appleton Wiske, Great Smeaton, South Stockton, Yarm. Inspector, J. Hutchinson, Stokesley. Stations - Broughton, great Ayton, Hutton Rudby, Swainby.

LANGBAURGH EAST DIVISION. - Superintendent, Richd. Clarkson, Guisborough. Stations - Guisborough, Castleton, Lazenby, Redcar, Warrenby, Saltburn, Marske, Skelton, Stanghow. Inspector, Thomas Allen, Lofthouse Detachment. Stations - Brotton, Carlin How, Kilton Thorpe, Liverton, Loftus, Moorsholme.

BULMER DIVISION. - Superintendent, John Wright, Heworth, near York. Stations - Barton-le-Willows, Clifton, Groves, Heworth, Huntington, Sand Hutton, Sheriff Hutton. Inspector, Thomas Archer, Easingwold. Stations - Alne, Brafferton, Brandsby, Easingwold, Flaxton, Haxby, Osbaldwick, Shipton, Sutton-on-the-Forest.

GILLING DIVISION.~Superintendent, George Gregory, Richmond. Stations - Arkengarthdale, Eppleby, Gilling, Melsonby, Muker, Ravensworth, Reeth, Richmond, Sleagill, Gunnerside, Forcett. Inspector, Robert Stones, Greta Bridge Detachment. Stations - Greta Bridge, Mickleton, Romaldkirk, Startforth, Cotherstone, and Egglestone Abbey. Acting Inspector, James Alexander, Scorton, near Catterick. Stations - Barton, Dalton-on-Tees, Middleton Tyas, Scorton, and Danby Wiske.

MALTON DIVISION.~Superintendent, James Park, Malton. Stations - Malton, Old Malton, Slingsby, Terrington, Welburn. Acting Inspector, Thomas Dennis, Kirbymoorside. Stations - Ampleforth, Farndale, Helmsley, Hutton-le-Hole, Kirbymoorside, Oswaldkirk

CLEVELAND DIVISION. This Division takes its name from the district of Cleveland (Cliff-land), otherwise the Liberty and Wapentake of Langbaurgh, the greater of which is included within the parliamentary boundaries. Cleveland was granted by King John in 1207 to Peter de Brus, Lord of Skelton, for a payment of 400 marks. The sister and heiress of the last Peter de Brus conveyed it in marriage to Walter de Fauconberg. In the 13th of James I (1616), Sir Henry Bellasis established his title and claim to have the wapentake of Langberth, with its rights, members, liberties, appurtenances, free chase, free warren, fines, issues, amercements, courts leet, pillory, tumbrel, gallows for malefactors, &c. The Liberty afterwards passed into other families, and is now held by G. F. Marwood, Esq., of Busby Hall, who is Lord Paramount and Chief Bailiff.

Cleveland Division comprises the following Petty Sessional Divisions

East Langbaurgh (part of), including the parishes of Brotton, Coatham, Guisborough, Hutton Lowcross, Kilton, Kirkleatham, Liverton, Loftus, Marske, Moorsholm, Morton, Pinchingthorpe, Redcar, Skelton, Skinningrove, Stanghow, Tocketts, Upleatham, Upsall, Westerdale, Wilton.

North Langbaurgh, including Acklam (extra municipal), Eston, Hemlington, Linthorpe (extra municipal), Middlesbrough (extra municipal), Normanby (extra municipal), Ormesby (extra municipal).

West Langbaurgh, including Ayton Great, Ayton Little, Broughton, Busby Great, Busby Little, Carlton, Easby, Faceby, Hutton Rudby, Ingleby Arncliffe, Ingleby Greenhow, Kildale, Kirby, Newby, Newton, Nunthorpe, Potto, Rudby, Seamer, Sexhow, Skutterskelfe, Stokesley, Whorlton.

Yarm, including Appleton Wiske, Castleleavington, Crathorne, East Rounton, Girsby, High Worsall, Hilton, Ingleby Barwick, Kirkleavington, Low Worsall, Maltby, Middleton-on-Leven, Over Dinsdale, Picton, Stainton, Thornaby, Yarm.


Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014