GENUKI Home page    Coxwold Coxwold

Coxwold parish:

Coxwold, Vicars transcription:

The List of Vicars in St. Michael's Church, Coxwold.


St Michael Coxwold


There is evidence of a Saxon Church at Coxwold about 700AD
replaced by a Norman Church, the oversight of which was granted by
Roger de Mowbray to the Priory of Newburgh on it's foundation in 1145.
The Priory provided the Ministry here until the Dissolution of
the Monasteries by Henry VIII, who granted the Priory and its Estates
to his Chaplain and Commissioner, Anthony Belasyse, on 4th November 1546.
The following list of Priests who have ministered here is as complete
as can be made from the existing records.

Before 1175Richard Priest of Cucuwold 1710Richard Browne
1408John Fletcher 1713Henry Thompson B.A.
1427-51Husthwayt 1753Richard Wilkinson
1505William Symonds 1760Laurence Sterne M.A.
1509John Hoggard 1768Thomas Newton B.A.
1514Thomas Kirkby 1806Thomas Newton Jr M.A.
1536-49Gilbert Kirkby 1843George Scott M.A.
1551-59Robert Hocheson 1898John Shafto Barry M.A.
1566Jeffrey Hoppringle 1901Ernest Hedger M.A.
1577-8Robert Cowper 1927Gibson Black B.D.
1583-1615George Sympson 1950Richard Lloyd M.A.
1621-22John Willikey M.A. 1956Harry Broughton L.Th.
1622-44Richard Goulton 1970Alun Morris C.B.E.
1662John Littleton M.A. 1975James Thom B.A.Dip.Th.
1675-77Thomas Hague M.A. 1988David Johnson M.A.
1677Henry Brown B.A.   
1705Thomas Thompson M.A.   


Data transcribed by
Jack Parry.
from photography by Colin Hinson


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014