Kirkbymoorside, Vicars transcription:
The List of Vicars in All Saints Church, Kirkbymoorside.
ALL SAINTS' CHURCH
A church has stood on this site since Saxon times and has given the town its name. Kirkbymoorside
means 'Church by the Moor Side'. Saxon ornamental crosses were found many years ago in the churchyard.
Nothing more of the original Saxon church here remains. The earliest part of the present church is Norman.
One window on the south side of the Sanctuary is of Norman origin. Much of the rest of the church is medieval.
Of particular interest is the porch with the Priest's Chamber or Muniments Room above which has a
fireplace and chimney. The tower was rebuilt in 1803 and one original buttress on the north and one south side are preserved.
The interior has undergone many restorations. The Pillars at the west end of the Nave are twelfth century.
The Sedilia and the Piscina (pair of stone seats and washing basin beside them in the Sanctuary),
although restored are of ancient date. The interior was completely restored by Sir Gilbert Scott in 1875. The Lady Chapel
was furnished in 1932 and the Chancel Screen is a war memorial to those who fell in the First World War.
The church is now dedicated to All Saints' (formerly All Hallows). The registers date from 1622 and include the
record of the death of George Villiers 'Lord dook of Buckingham' a friend of Charles II in 1678.
The Church of St Aidan, Gillamoor, two miles north of here is a Chapel of Ease to Kirkbymoorside and linked
with this parish are the churches of St Mary, Farndale and St Nicholas, Bransdale.
The Vicar of Kirkbymoorside is Vicar of these three churches as well.
LIST OF VICARS
|14 April 1288||William de Hexhildesham|| ||1 April 1707||James Musgrave MA|
|Walter de Newton|| ||1 Sept 1714||Henry Maunder MA|
|John Dysworth|| ||4 Feb 1756||William Comber MA|
|30 April 1392||Roger de Ripon|| ||4 Mar 1811||Joseph Smyth BA|
|15 Nov 1412||John de Raskell|| ||11 April 1826||Edmund Gray MA|
|24 Oct 1433||Robert Carvell|| ||11 Mar 1851||John Rowlandson MA|
|24 July 1456||Thomas Kirkby Canon and Prior of Newburgh|| ||9 Aug 1856||Charles Rae Hay|
|5 April 1484||Nicholas Wyspyngton Canon of Newburgh|| ||7 Jun 1858||William Drayton Carter MA|
|23 Aug 1487||Job Donald|| ||1866||John Spencer|
|7 Feb 1501||Thomas Pereson vel Persay|| ||1868||Edward Mourant Birch BA|
|8 Jan 1504||William Baker|| ||7 May 1874||David Milford Cust MA|
|16 Mar 1505||Thomas Weldon|| ||17 Mar 1877||Walter Guy Ketchley|
|1 Mar 1533||Robert Thorp|| ||10 Jun 1905||Herbert Edward Willson MA|
|William Barker|| ||2 Mar 1922||Anthony Simpson Harnby BA Canon of York|
|15 Dec 1548||Richard Judson|| ||29 Sep 1950||Albert Robinson BA|
|27 Mar 1593||Richard Clarke MA|| ||12 Jun 1953||John Castledine AKG|
|27 Jan 1594||William Denton BA|| ||5 July 1963||Dennis Ralph Brandon BA|
|2 July 161||Henry Thurscroff MA Archbishop's Chaplain|| ||26 Feb 1968||Michael John Wright|
|28 May 1625||Timothy Thurscroff MA|| ||25 Jul 1974||Lionel Philip Clare|
|17 Oct 1638||Thomas Strother MA|| ||7 Jun 1984||Alan Hughes|
|12 Nov 1660||Thomas Harwyke|| ||13 Jul 1995||David Purdy BA M Phil|
|5 Oct 1677||Thomas Shepherd|| || || |
Data transcribed by
from photography by Colin Hinson
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014