Mrs. SARAH KNOWSLEY, by Will dated 14th March, 1714, Devised Byard Wath close, containing three acres,
adjoining on Seamer Lane, in the parish of Scarborough, purchased by her pursuant to the directions of
the Will of her husband, JOHN KNOWSLEY Esquire, and directed the rent to be expended in the purchase of
bread, to be distributed week by week on the Sunday at the Church amongst the poorest sort of people,
Inhabitants within the Townships of Scalby, Burniston and Newby; as the VICAR and CHURCH-WARDENS
(For the Time Being) of Scalby should think fit.
The York and Scarborough Railway Company, by virtue of their act, are empowered to purchase the above Land.
The second plaque: (see also Photo)
JOHN JAMES CHARITYOn Feb 3rd, 1876 £150. of Stock in the New 3, per cent annuities was transferred to the official trustees of Charitable Funds for the Benefit of the Poor of Scalby & Newby, the interest £4 - 10s.. arising therefrom annually is to be distributed at Christmas in each Year by the Churchwardens, of the Parish of Scalby.
Data transcribed by
from photography by Colin Hinson