St Peter Drypool stood to the immediate east of the old city centre, close to the modern Garrison Road. There was a church in Drypool from 1226 which belonged to Swine Priory. It existed as St Peter & St Paul Church from then until 1822, when the building shown here was erected in its place. In 1878 it became a chapel of ease to the newly-built St Andrew Drypool, Holderness Road (closed 1984 and demolished for housing). St Peter's was destroyed by enemy action in 1941.
The Church of St Mary the Virgin Lowgate
stands at the south-east corner of Lowgate and Chapel Lane, very close to Holy Trinity. Commonly known as
its earliest mention is found in the will of William Skayl, made in 1327, which mentions
it as "Capella b'e Virg' Marie". It may have been new at the time, or was considerably
enlarged, and was licensed by Archbishop Melton in 1333. It seems originally to have been
a chapel of ease to the parish of North Ferriby.
Around 1447 the church was greatly enlarged but in 1518 the west end of the church collapsed (sometimes attributed to Henry VIII partially demolishing it to improve his view from the manor house opposite). Only the chancel survived. In 1588 the ruined building was rebuilt and enlarged, and the present tower was added in 1696. The foundations of the old church were found to run across the street and under the manor walls, showing how much larger it had once been.
George Yard Wesleyan Chapel lay between the High Street and Lowgate, nearly opposite the Town Hall. Wesleyans first met in part of the Suffolk Palace tower, in Manor Alley. When this tower was removed, a chapel was erected close by in 1771, named Jehovah Jireh Chapel (not to be confused with the later Baptist chapel of the same name). The small chapel was replaced by George Yard Chapel in 1786, but this in turn was replaced by Queen's Hall in 1905.
George Street Baptist Chapel, on that street, was erected in 1796. The front was stuccoed, and contained two doors and four windows in the lower story, and six in the upper. The interior was galleried on three sides and was 'neatly pewed', well lit, and had an organ. Members seceded to Nile Street Chapel in 1845 and then South Street Chapel in 1847 (closed 1903). George Street passed to the Primitive Methodists but probably ceased at the Methodist union.