Boulevard Baptist Church stands on the southern side of Gordon Street, midway between Redbourne Street and the Boulevard. The church was founded on 15 May 1736 in a building called King Henry VIII's Tower. Salthouse Lane Chapel followed, and then George Street Chapel. The Boulevard site was selected in 1897 and the church opened in 1903 to replace South Street Chapel. It was damaged during the war but repaired, and has since been fully refurbished.
St Matthew the Stadium Church is on the south-east corner of Anlaby Road and the Boulevard. There was a temporary church dedicated to St Michael in Coltman Street from 1866 but, surmounted by a tower and hexagonal spire, St Matthew's was built to replace it in 1870. The design is in the Early English style, built in white brick with red brick and stone dressings. For some time from 1872 the Bean Street Mission Room was attached to the church, but its fate is unknown.
Walton Street Church is on the western side of Walton Street, opposite the Bonus Arena and the entrance to the KC Stadium, the home of Hull FC. Walton Street hall was used for ten years by the Presbyterians from 1883 before they moved to Anlaby Road Church (sold in 1961, demolished 1964). Walton Street was last mentioned in 1900. Re-registered in 1931, it was extended in 1961 by the Christian Brothers. By 2007 it was known as the Jubilee Church Hull.
Selby Street Methodist Church stands on the south-east side of Selby Street, midway between Doncaster Street and Massey Close. The church, probably built by the Victorians (but a date cannot be located) overlooks a railway embankment running the length of the opposite side of the road. The street was made infamous by 'Bruce Lee' (born Peter Dinsdale) who admitted to killing 26 people between June 1973 to December 1979 after setting fire to homes in the area.
The Parish Church of St John the Baptist Newington with Dairycoates is at the south-east corner of St George's Road and Woodcock Street. The church was built in 1878 to cater for the rapidly increasing population of this district of Hull. Services had previously been held in a small temporary building. The church is in the Early English style of the Transition period, built in red brick with stone dressings externally, and in white brick internally, with a bell cote on the roof.
Salvation Army Hawthorne Avenue is on the western side of Hawthorn Avenue, opposite Cecil Street. Its history is unknown, and it was closed by the mid-2000s. Several other Salvation Army places of worship in Hull have also closed down over the years: the East Riding Headquarters in Queen Street; The Barracks Cambridge Street (recently sold); The Barracks Madeley (erected in 1888); The Red Fort in Cogan; The Barracks Naylor's Row; and the Marlborough Terrace Battery.
St Nicholas Church occupies a green spot on the north-east corner of Hessle Road and Pickering Road, near to Hessle on the western edges of Hull. The parish was formed from part of that of Hessle and the church was consecrated in 1915. The original building was in a free-rendered fifteenth century Gothic style, in brick with stone dressings, with a nave, a chancel, and a west tower. Perhaps damaged during the war, it was replaced by the present modern building.
St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church stands inside the junction of Pickering Road and Boothferry Road. Catholicism saw a steady growth in the nineteenth century, and improved with the opening of St Charles Borromeo. As the population of Hull grew, so new churches were needed. St Joseph's was registered in 1948 and replaced an earlier chapel which was first mentioned in 1937. The new building was converted from a former farm building and was consecrated for use in 1952.
Askew Avenue Methodist Church stands on the western side of the junction of Rawcliffe Grove and Askew Avenue. A hall was opened here by the Wesleyans in 1930, and was replaced by a chapel in 1934, with 400 sittings and a design by Gelder & Kitchen. The fate of this chapel is unknown: either it was fatally damaged during the war or it was too old or too big to maintain, and the present, purpose-built church was erected in its place, probably between 1990-2000.