St Vincent de Paul Roman Catholic Church is on the northern side of Queens Road, about seventy metres (yards) east of the junction with Prince's Road. The Sisters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul, who had been in Hull since the 1870s, opened a chapel in Queen's Road in 1903. The present Romanesque church was added to the site in 1932-1933 with the work being handled by the architects Williams and Jopling of Hull. It is built in brick with brick dressings and pantiled roofs.
George Lamb Memorial Chapel occupies a prominent site on the northern side of Lambert Street, opposite Prince's Road in the Newland district of Hull. Willow Grove on this site was replaced in 1888 by a school room which itself was replaced by the chapel, built by the Primitive Methodists and sometimes known more simply as Lamb Memorial Chapel. It was designed by Thompson and Gelder in a Renaissance style to seat 850, and cost £6,000 to construct.
Hull Vinyard Church is on the western side of Beverley Road, about forty metres north of Alexandra Road. The building appears to have been founded as the Zion Methodist Chapel between 1906-1925. The Salvation Army took it over in 1941-1952, before moving to St Paul Street. The Army also registered Central Corps Hall in the street in 1963. Vinyard church was founded in 1993. Brunswick Christian Spiritualist Church met in different sites along the street in 1934-1954
Newland United Reformed Church occupies a site on the south-east corner of Beverley Road and Brooklyn Street in Newland. Also known as Newland Church, in 1903 it replaced Hope Street Congregational Church (in use from 1797). A temporary building stood here until the church opened in 1906. It was designed by Moulds and Porritt of Bury, Manchester, and London in a simplified Gothic style, and built in red and yellow brick with terracotta dressings.
The Parish Church of St John Newland
stands hidden behind a large clump of trees on the northern side of Clough Road,
opposite Grove House View in the Newland district of Hull. The church was consecrated
in 1833 and it gained a Consolidated Chapelry from the ancient parish of Cottingham
and its mother church of St Mary in 1862. The patron is the bishop of Chester.
The church contains the old font from St Mary the Virgin in Hull which has since been recut.
The original building of St John's Church was rectangular in shape, built in white brick, in the style of the twelfth century, and designed by William Hutchinson. In 1893 a chancel and vestries were added, and in 1902 the nave was extended to the west (the low block on the lefthand side of the previous photo) and a north aisle added. The architects for each of these alterations were Smith and Brodrick, and the effect was to turn the building into a version of sixteenth century Gothic.
Trinity Methodist Church stands on the south-west corner of Cottingham Road and Newland Avenue. The Wesleyans opened Newland Chapel in 1858 on the opposite side of the road after meetings had been held in a barn. It was designed by W Botterill in the Gothic style, enlarged in 1867 and 1873, but replaced by the present building in 1928, designed by Gelder and Kitchen. The old building was used by the Port of Hull Society until it was demolished in 1966.
Our Lady of Lourdes & St Peter Chanel Roman Catholic Church stands fairly anonymously on the southern side of Cottingham Road, opposite Cranbrook Avenue in Newland. A temporary Church of Our Lady was erected here by the Marist Fathers in 1925 and replaced by the present church in 1957, with the work being handled by architect John Houghton. Known locally as the Marist Church, it is close to the University and a few doors along from the Roman Catholic Chaplaincy.
Cottingham Road Baptist Church occupies a plot at the north-west corner of Chanterlands Avenue North and Barrington Avenue in the Newland district of Hull. A school chapel was registered on the site in 1927. The date at which the church itself was opened is not known, but it would seem to have been not long afterwards, probably in the early 1930s. It provides 300 sittings and was designed by W F Wills of Skegness who also designed part of Skegness seafront.