Holderness Road United Reformed Church lies on the southern side of Holderness Road, about thirty metres (yards) east of Westcott Street. Congregationalists had a church on the road between 1841-1843. A new church was registered in 1874, designed by W H Kitching in the Gothic style, and built in red brick with yellow brick and stone dressings. It was damaged by bombing in 1941 and in 1949 two houses were converted for the present chapel.
Holderness Road Brunswick Chapel (unconfirmed) lies on the eastern side of Holderness Road, opposite Morrill Street. It was registered by the Wesleyans in 1877 to replace Durham Street Chapel. An assembly hall, added by W A Gelder in 1886, increased the accommodation to 800. The present building was opened on the site of the old chapel in 1962, probably confirming the photo as Brunswick Chapel. The assembly hall was used by the National Assistance Board in 1964.
Holderness Road Primitive Methodist Chapel (unconfirmed) is on the eastern side of Holderness Road next to a row of three Victorian shops on the corner of Williamson Street. Also known as Bright Street Chapel, it was founded in 1864. Apparently still in use after the Methodist union of 1932, the building was damaged by bombing in 1941 and had been demolished by 1964. If this is that chapel, then perhaps something survived for integration into the present building.
Salvation Army Franklin Street is on the southern side of Franklin Street, behind the Holderness Road shop fronts. The citadel was built in 1907 but closed in 2006 and was converted into flats. Several other places of worship have existed in Hull: Queen Street (opened in 1837); Cambridge Street Barracks; Westmoreland Street Citadel; the red-brick Madeley Barracks (1888); Cogan Red Fort; Naylor's Row Barracks; and the small Marlborough Terrace Battery.
St John's Church & Community Centre is at the south-east corner of Rosmead Street and Estcourt Street. It was first founded as St John the Evangelist Drypool in 1791. This was closed in 1916 and moved to the present site, further away from the centre of Hull. A wooden church was destroyed by fire in 1923, replaced by a temporary church, now the parish hall, and the present church was built in 1952. In 2007 it became a combined church-community centre.
Southcoates Lane Methodist Chapel stood on the eastern side of Southcoates Lane on its southwards leg, midway between Kedrum Road and Bilsdale Grove. Hedon Road Primitive Methodist Chapel had been opened in 1894 to replace smaller premises but was destroyed in 1941. Temporary accommodation was then used before a new chapel was built in 1957 on Southcoates Lane. It was designed by B W Blanchard, but was demolished between 2007-2008.
Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church stands on the south-east corner of Southcoates Lane and Cundall Close in the Summergang district. Development of the docks resulted in a rapid expansion of housing west of the city and a great increase in the Roman Catholic population, so the parish of the Sacred Heart was established. It was near the new church that the site for St Catherine's Convent on Southcoate Lane was purchased in 1930, the year after the church itself was registered.
St Aidan's Church Summergang is at the south-east corner of Southcoates Avenue and Lorenzo Way. Services were first held at 77 College Grove in 1924 and a temporary church opened in 1925. The first part of the permanent brick church with nave and chancel was dedicated in 1935 by architects W Milner and R B Craze. In 1954 it was given a new district taken from the parishes of Drypool, Marfleet and St Michael, and the following year it was consecrated.