The Kirklington Incumbents, 1231 to present day.
The Church of St. Michael The Archangel, Kirklington.
Excerpt from a Parochial Church Council leaflet:
List of Incumbents:-
Kirklington is a rectory with cure of souls, but in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries there was a vicarage also.
- Richard De Musters, Instituted 17th October, 1231.
- Henry Le Vavasur. c. 1289.
- John De Musters. c. 1300.
- William De Musters. c. 1327.
- Walter De Calverton. c. 1340.
- Robert De Musters. c. 1355.
- William De Haulay. c. 1365.
- William De Monketon. Collated by the Archbishop of York in consequence of lapse of presentation. 1384
- William De Faudon. Presented 26th November, 1383, but not instituted till (probably) 1386.
- Robert De Mirflet. Instituted 9th April, 1391.
- William Plungar. Instituted 18th December, 1435.
- Christopher Mountford. Instituted 5th September, 1438.
- Adam Copendale. Instituted 4th February, 1439.
- Ralph Wandesford. 1491.
- Thomas Powers. 1524 - 5.
- John Wandesford. 1547 (died 1590)
- Roger Lascelles. Instituted 19th May, 1590 (died 1630).
- Michael Wandesford. Presented 1631; resigned 1636.
- Henry Sutton. Presented 1636; resigned 1638.
- Robert Daggett. Instituted 30th April, 1639; died 19th August, 1644.
- Michael Sydall. Presented 1644; never legally instituted.
- Philip Nisbet. Intruded Presbyterian minister, deposed 1662; died October, 1663.
- Richard Tatham. Instituted 21st January, 1662; died 11th March, 1693.
- Edmund Tatham. Instituted 19th October, 1693; resigned 1705.
- Robert Asheton. Instituted 14th September, 1705; resigned 1717.
- John Wandesford. Instituted 20th June, 1717; died 1747.
- William Ogilby. Instituted 2nd May, 1748; died 1758.
- John Talbot. Instituted 8th August, 1758; died 1773.
- Richard Ella. Previously for 20 years assistant curate. Instituted 9th December, 1773; died 1802 aged 91.
- Thomas Place. Instituted 6th March, 1802.
- Peter Ewart. Instituted January 1828; died 1852.
- John Prior. Instituted 18th January, 1853; died 1878.
- John Meridyth. Instituted 12th June, 1868; died 1878.
- George Augustus Ward Huddart. Instituted 9th August, 1878; died 1908.
- Macdonnell Longuet Liebenrood (later Handcock). Instituted 16th April, 1909; died on active service, 6th November, 1918.
- (Excerpt from another leaflet - "During the First World War he changed his Germanic-style surname to Handcock. He became an Army Chaplain. He died of war-wounds on 6 November 1918 just five days before the war ended.")
- Arthur Charles Macnutt. Instituted 14th March, 1919; resigned 1922.
- John Rosindale Wynne-Edwards. Instituted 22nd December, 1922; resigned 1937.
- Charles Iliffe. Instituted 17th September, 1937; resigned 1959.
- Lewis Percival Milnes. Instituted 30th May, 1962. Resigned April, 1971.
- Ralph Thomas. Instituted 4th February 1974; resigned 1988.
- Clive Neville Ross Mansell Instituted 8th June 1989 as Rector of the new United Parish of Kirklington with Burneston, Wath and Pickhill. Left in October 2002 to become the Archdeacon of Tonbridge, Kent.
A Parochial Church Council leaflet
John Ellerton ©2002.
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015