[Over the Door] - FUNERAL HATCHMENT [No Inscription]
Coat of Arms
Stone Plaque on west end of Nave
Small Brass Vase in 'kitchen'
Pair of Brass Vases in 'kitchen'. Both have same inscription
Stone tablet with carved surround, on West wall [in toilet]
" O.S. Map -
Stained Glass Window - 3 panels
At the bottom is -
Photograph - "[LEONARD OF] SHEFFIELD" . Clock over photograph.
Brass Plate [in base of bell tower]
Font. [Inscription round base]
ROLL OF HONOUR
|Behind the||Keeping watch|
|dim unknown||above His own|
|Standeth God||All's well!|
|within the||All's well!|
|Austin, James Edward||Hill, Broughton|
|Bean, Cuthbert Alex'der Stillingfleet||Hill, Raymond|
|Bean, Bernard Willoughby||Hill, Dick|
|Barnard, Charles||Hiley, Fred|
|Brooke Smith, Louise Alfred||Jarman, Henry|
|Baxter, William||Jebb, Sidney Gladwyn|
|Baxter, Edward||Leckenby, Sidney|
|Cutler, Clifford||Martin, Norman|
|Cox, Cecil||Miller, Lewis A|
|Eaton, Herbert||Rushby, William|
|Eaton, Douglas||*Taylor, William B|
|Fish, George||Tonks, Harry|
|Fish, William||Tonks, Harry|
|*Hudson, George||White, Sir Archibald Bart.|
|Heald, Edward||Jackson, Frank|
|*Heald, William||Meredith, Ivor|
|Hanson, Charles||Cuckson, Stanley|
|Pigott, Cyril||Cuckson, George|
|BROUGHTON HILL||GEORGE HUDSON|
|NORMAN MARTIN||WILLIAM TAYLOR|
Small Brass Vase
Visitors Book. - In Loving Memory of Harold Arthur Wharton.
Stained Glass Window - 2 panels
Pictures - 3 on each window refer to
|MATT 13, 31||MATT 7, 24|
|MATT 25, 1||MATT 13, 33|
|MATT 25, 14||MATT 13, 34|
[Bottom right hand corner]
At the side of the archway is a framed, typed 'rough translation' -
Stone in Floor [near the lecturn] only partly visible.
Round the edge of the stone:
Brass Plate - near lecturn, concerning iron Chancel Screen.
Stone in floor at east end of organ.
Brass Plate, to the east of the organ:
|Mr. Fletcher||c1646||Canon Lee||1947|
|Samuel Cress||c1716||Rev. Challen||1850|
|Nathaniel Pearson||c1727||Rev. GL Murphy||1954|
|Edward Marshall||1729-77||Rev. J Thompson||1969|
|Tempest Stringer||c1781||Rev. S Clarke||1971|
|Isaac Johnson||c1808||Rev. JWA Woods||1973|
|Rev. G Whitehead||c1812||Rev. H Liddle||1982|
|Rev. Thomas Poole||1838-94|
|Rev. Canon AHS Bean||1894-1927|
|Rev. James Redrobe||1927-32|
|Rev. EJ Ives Lacey||1932|
|Canon St.Leger Blakeney||1945|
Stained Glass Window - Inscription "Saint Matthew"
Stained Glass Window - Inscription "Saint Mark"
Stained Glass Window [East end of Church] - "Salvator Mundi"
Stained Glass Window - Inscription "Saint Luke"
Stained Glass Window - Inscription "Saint John"
Book of Common Prayer:
Stone Tablet with carved surround.
|Radulph mort||Fidelia mort|
|Gulielm mort||Alicia mort|
Framed, typed translation of the above.
|Ralph, died||Fidelia, died|
|William, died||Alice, died|
Card - re, Sir Ralph Knight [Extract from Hunter's South Yorkshire]
Langold was the first purchase which Sir Ralph Knight made in Yorkshire; but he soon added to it the manor and estate of Letwell. He much enlarged the house at Langold, and made it his residence when not engaged in public affairs. Here he is said to have entertained Monk in his famous march from Coldstream to London. Langold and Letwell have remained to the present day in the possession of the descendants, who have added to their estates in this neighbourhood the manor of Firbeck. Sir Ralph Knight was a distinguished and fortunate officer in the civil wars. His father resided in the neighbourhood of Newbury in Berkshire. At the breaking out of the war he was in his twenty third year, and, prepared it is probable by the spirit of disaffection to the things established in Civil and ecclestiastical affairs, which prevailed at that time to a great extent around Newbury, he entered the parliamentary army. The first time in which I have seen his name mentioned is in October 1643 He was then Sergeant-major, or as we now say major, in sir Miles Hobart's regiment, in the army of the Earl of Manchester. He distinguished himself in the fight of Horncastle in that month, and was sent about the same time by the Earl of Manchester to summon the castle of Bolinbrooke. It is to be regretted that sir Ralp Knight, who saw, and was himself a part in, much of the affairs of those times, and who was afterwards intimately acquainted with the secret springs in a most critical period of our history, did not, like several of his contemporaries, leave written memorials of his services. We lose sight of him after this till the year 1646, when he took to wife a daughter of a late Vicar of Rotherham. The nuptials were solemnised at that place on June 23. It may be presumed that he was at that period in some kind of military command in those parts of Yorkshire. It was about this period that he bought Langold, and the Register of St.John's, Laughton, containing a record of the baptisms of several of his children between 1649 and 1656, it may be inferred that he made it his residence, as far as military life allowed of any settled abode. We next find him in the army of general Monk of Scotland. He was colonel of one of the four regiments of horse under his command. When it was proposed to open a negotiation with the other army under Fleetwood, he was deputed with colonels Clobery and Wilks to visit London and treat with Fleetwood. The articles of agreement which were signed by the three colonels on behalf of the Scotch army and by Fleetwood for the assemby of officers at Wallingford-house, on Nov. 15, 1659, express a determination to oppose the king's restoration, to promote the formation of a well ordered commonwealth, to cause a parliament to be summoned, and to maintain in the armies a disposition to peace. This was not what Monk desired or intended; and on their return he refused to sanction the treaty, and imprisoned colonel Wilks. Probably he had gained what he wanted, time. Colonel Knight does not appear to have suffered in his estimation, and he probably acted with perfect sincerity, not knowing at that time the ulterior objectives of the general. It seems likely however, that they were not long concealed from him and that he concurred in Monk's design. In a document relating to him after the restoration, the preamble speaks thus: "Whereas the said Colonel Knight hath faithfully served his majesty, and did correspond and join with the aforesaid duke of Albemarle, in his majesty's most happy restoration, &c. He was at least with general Monk in his march to London, and employed by him in watching the motions of Lambert, and in taking possessions of some of the strong towns of the north. And when the army was arrived in London, colonel Knight was in close communication with Monk, and actively engaged in promoting his objectives. Soon after the king's return the colonel was knighted, and received other proofs of royal favour. He retained his military command after the restoration. Among the evidences of Mr. Knight at Firbeck, is an order dated August 13, 1667, to sir Ralph Knight, directing him to disband his regiment at Yarmouth. The remainder of his life, and he lived to witness the revolution an event in which he would probably sincerely rejoice, was spent for the most part at Langold, where he had a numerous family of children, several of whom were connected in his lifetime with some of principal families in those parts of Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire. His first wife died in 1671 and many years after sir Ralph took a second wife, the widow of Rolleston, who had been the secretary to William duke of Newcastle. In 1675 he bought the hall, manor, and advowson, of Warsop in Nottinghamshire, with various farms situated in that parish, of the trustees of William lord Willoughby, to which lord Willoughby Warsop had been bequeathed by George earl of Rutland his mother's brother. Sir Ralph Knight made his last will on Christmas Day 1689. He desires to be buried in the chancel of the church of Firbeck. He gives to his son Isaacthe perpetual advowson of the rectory of Warsop and "all the money which the king is owing to me, as I have been often promised to have it by my lord Rochester and others of the exchequer: it is £1000, but the said Mr. Roger Jackson can tell justly what it is". He gives to him also the farm at Woodsetts. He makes liberal provision for his other children; and gives his coach and four to his wife, who is also to have the goods she bought from Sokeholme. He makes his sons-in-law, Richard Taylor, of Wallingwells, esq. And John Clarkson, of Kirton, esq. his executors. He died on April 21, 1691, and was buried at Firbeck, where is a monument to his memory.
[above the pedigree of sir Ralph Knight which I cannot reproduce herein]
Mr Ralph Knight, the grandson of sir Ralph, appears to have derived a more elegant turn of mind from the blood of his mother. He was a person of considerable refinement and acquirements, had travelled, and had become fond of architecture and landscape gardening. He, and his particular friend Mr. Worsley, of Hodingham, were continually amusing themselves with imagining architectural designs. He had inherited at Langold a place suceptible of much embellishment. The late Mr. Repton, and indisputable authority, was accustomed to say that the groupes of oaks, thorns, yews, and other trees, were more picturesquely combined at Langold than at any other spot in the country. This was produced by the taste of Mr. Knight. He built new stables at Langold on a large scale, and had completed the plans for a new house, which he was prevented by death from carrying into execution. Dr. Gally, who married his only sister, besides the preferment mentioned in the pedigree, was a prebendary of Norwich and Gloucester. He was of one of those refugee families who came into England on the revocation of the edict of Nantz. His ancestors had been long established at Nismesin Languedoc. He was himself distinguished among the literati of the day. A list of his publications may be found in Nichol's Literary Anecdotes, vol. 11. 274. He kept up a correspondence with many of the principal scholars on the continent, and collected a valuable classical library. At the death of Mr. Ralph Knight, Mr. Gally Knight succeeded to the estate, and his two sons both took the name and arms of Knight, in addition to their own.
Stained Glass Window [3 panels] with the inscription:
Brass plate, on window sill
Framed, typed inscription
Stone Tablet [set on slate?]
Framed Inscription - typed copy of the wording on C45 and C46
Stone in floor [partly covered by 'staging' and choir seats]
Stained Glass Window [3 panels]
FUNERAL HATCHMENT [ST LEGER COAT OF ARMS.]
Stone Tablet set in a carved tracery surround;
Stained Glass Window - [3 panels]
Pictures and inscriptions on the windows refer to:-
|S. JOHN 21.1||HE SPAKE UNTO THEM IN PARABLES||S. MATT 25.1|
|S. MARK 4.14||S. LUKE 15. 21||S. LUKE 15. 6|
|S. LUKE 18. 13||S. LUKE 10. 34||S. MATT 13. 44|
Brass Plate on Bookshelves