Wapentake of Langbaurgh (West Division) - Poor Law Union, County Court District, and Petty Sessional Division of Middlesbrough - Electoral Division of Yarm - Rural Deanery of Stokesley - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This is a small parish lying on the outskirts of Middlesbrough. Its total area is computed at 1,476 acres, of which 1,108 are under assessment. The gross estimated rental is £2,050, the rateable value £1,844, and the population (in 1881) 164. The whole parish, which constitutes one township, is the property of Wm. Thos. Hustler, Esq. The surface is generally flat, with a clayey soil in the eastern part, and a sandy soil in the west, subsoil clay. Wheat, turnips; and grass are the chief crops.
The manor was anciently held by the De Brus family, by one of whom the church was given to the cell of St. Hilda at Middlesbrough, and a carucate of land to the Abbey of Whitby. Later, a William de Acclum appears among the benefactors of the same monastery. In 1297, William de Bevington or Boynton is recorded as holding an estate here under Peter de Brus. The manor continued in the possession of this family until 1637, when it was conveyed with the villages of Airsome, Linthorpe, and Middlesbrough, by Sir Matthew Boynton, Bart., to Wm. Hustler, Esq., senior, and Wm. Hustler, Esq., junior, as joint tenants in fee. Later, the whole manor came into the possession of Wm. Hustler, eldest son of Wm. Hustler, junior, who received the honour of knighthood in 1673, and died in 1730. He devised the estate upon his sons James and Robert, and his brother James in succession; and in the event of failure of issue, which afterwards occurred, upon his daughter, Ann Peirse, widow, and Evereld Hustler, as tenants in common in fee. Thomas Peirse succeeded to his mother's moiety, and sold the half of it to his aunt Evereld Hustler, who thus became possessed of three-fourths of the manor. She died in 1784, and bequeathed her property to her nephew, Thomas Peirse, and he, in pursuance of her will, assumed the name and arms of Hustler. Richard William Hustler succeeded to the remaining one-fourth of the manor, but in 1790 a partition of the estate was effected, by which certain lands in Middlesbrough were allotted to Rd. Wm. Peirse, Esq., in respect of his one-fourth; and the manor and mansion house of Acklam, and the rest of the estate, were allotted to Thomas Hustler, late Thomas Peirse. This partition was confirmed by Act of Parliament. On the death of Thomas Hustler, son of the above, without issue, in 1819, the manor and estate of Acklam devolved on his nephew, Thomas Hustler, and is now in the possession of that gentleman's son, who succeeded his father in 1874.
The village of Acklam is situated on the high road between Stokesley and Middlesbrough, three miles from the latter place, and seven miles N.E. of Yarm. The houses were almost entirely rebuilt by the owner in 1876, and are inhabited chiefly by the servants of the hall. It is supposed to have derived its name from the oak, which once grew plentifully here.
The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1876. This is the third edifice that has occupied the site. The present structure is modelled after its predecessor (rebuilt about 1770), with the addition of a tower, and comprises nave and chancel. During the progress of the work, six skeletons were found in a vault near the pulpit. They are supposed to be the remains of members of the Norton family, the original builders of the Church. Near the same place were also found two recumbent figures, one of which was richly carved. One has been placed in the chancel, and the other in a recessed tomb on the right. The east window is a memorial of the late Thos. Hustler, Esq., and his wife Frances; and the one in the west end is in memory of Chas. Ed. Hustler. The patronage has been transferred from the Archbishop of York to the lord of the manor. The living, valued at £145, inclusive of vicarage and 15 acres of glebe, is held by the Rev. Ed. Gomersal Charlesworth, author of Chronicles of the Coniston Family, and other works.
The School was built in 1871 by the late Mr. T. Hustler.
Acklam Hall, the seat of W. T. Hustler, Esq., is a large and handsome red brick mansion in the Elizabethan style, erected by Sir Wm. Hustler, Knt., and restored a few years ago. Charles II. is said to have slept one night here, and his arms may be seen quartered on one of the ceilings.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.
any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016