"AINDERBY STEEPLE, is a village and township, in the parish of its name, about 3 miles w.s.w. from Northallerton. The parish church is dedicated to St. Helen : the living is a discharged vicarage, in the gift of the crown; the Rev. James Robson is the incumbent. The parish contained, at the last census taken in 1831, 806 inhabitants, and the township 302 of that number. Please see Northallerton Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this township."