GENUKI Home page    Ainderby Steeple Parish<br>main page Ainderby Steeple
Parish
main page

AINDERBY STEEPLE:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"AINDERBY STEEPLE, a parish, in the eastern division of the wapentake of Gilling, North Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the S.W. of Northallerton. It includes the townships of Morton, Thrintoft, and Warlaby, and is situated on the river Swale, and the York and Berwick railway. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon, value 200, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Helen."


"MORTON UPON SWALE, a township in the parish of Ainderby-Steeple, wapentake of East Gilling, North Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Northallerton. It contains the Ainderby station of the Northallerton, Bedale, and Leyburn railway. The village, which is small and straggling, is situated on the E. bank of the river Swale."


"THRINTOFT, a township in the parish of Ainderby-Steeple, wapentake of Gilling East, North Riding county York, 1 mile from Ainderby railway station, and 4 miles S.W. of Northallerton."


"WARLABY, a township in the parish of Ainderby-Steeple, wapentake of East Gilling, North Riding county York, 2 miles S.W. of Northallerton, and 1 mile from Ainderby railway station."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014