Parish main page
Wapentake of East Gilling - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Northallerton - Electoral Division of Brompton - Petty Sessional Division of Allertonshire - Rural Deanery of East Richmond - Archdeaconry of Richmond - Diocese of Ripon.
This parish includes the townships of Ainderby Steeple, Morton, Thrintoft, and Warlaby, comprising a total area, according to Ordnance measurement, of 4,693 acres. The surface is generally level, and the soil fertile. The inhabitants number 719, and are chiefly employed in agricultural labour. The parish lies between the rivers Wiske and Swale, and is intersected by the Hawes and Northallerton Railway. The township of Ainderby contains 1,138 acres, 222 inhabitants, and is valued for rating purposes at £2,556. The principal landowners are Captain John N. Preston, Flasby Hall, Skipton-in-Craven; Messrs. Hutton and Hutton-Squire; Joseph Carter-Squire, Esq., Catterick; P. Frazer, Esq.; J. Hugill, Guisborough; H. Wormald-Wormald, Esq., Wickham Hill Lodge, Hassocks, Sussex; Robert Atlay, Esq., Thirsk; Mr. William L. Bailey, Ainderby House; Mr. John Kirby, Barstow Hall; Exors. of the late T. C. Booth, Esq., Warlaby; and the Trustees of the late Mr. William Lancaster.
The village, with its large green, is pleasantly situated on the Northallerton and Bedale road, about three miles from the former town. Its name is of Danish origin, and was in its fuller form Aismunderby - the by, or habitation of Aismunder, the Norse equivalent of the Saxon Osmund. The lofty church steeple, which can be seen thirty miles away, gave to Ainderby its addendum, by which it is distinguished from other places of the same name in the county. The Church, dedicated to St. Helen, is a neat Gothic edifice, which was thoroughly restored by subscription in 1867-8 at a cost of £2,200. It comprises chancel, clerestoried nave with north and south aisles, and embattled tower. On a stone, in the wall of the south clerestory, appear the figures 1194, which may possibly indicate the date of the re-building of the church by the Abbot of Jervaux, to whom it was appropriated at an early period. The whitewash, gallery, and other deformities of modern date, were removed during the recent restoration; and the interior again presents the majestic aspect it had when it left the hands of its early builders. The ancient scroll-work of the chancel arch and the rich carving of the canopied sedilia, have been stripped of the many coats of whitewash beneath which they were hidden, and brought again to the light of day. The east window is a noble one of five lights, erected at the restoration as a token of respect to the memory of Richard Booth, Esq., of Warlaby, by his friends and neighbours. Christ is represented in the centre light, and some of the Apostles in the other lights. There is a small memorial window in the south wall of the chancel to the late Lady Wallace, of Ainderby Hall, and a lesser window in the same wall is also filled with stained glass. A three-light pictorial window adorns the east end of each aisle: one commemorates Robert Hutchinson, and the other, Miss Anne Squire. The west window of the nave was erected by subscription in memory of two old residents of the parish, Mr. William Bailey and Mr. William Jaques. In the tower are three bells - one dated 1706 was brought from Mount Grace - and a clock, erected by subscription in 1863. A new organ and organ chamber are now in course of erection at a cost of £450, in memory of the late vicar. In the nave is a beautiful marble monument, richly sculptured, to Edward Squire, Esq., of Southfield, Romanby. There are also preserved here two ancient brasses - one commemorating Sir William Caleys, rector of this church and confessor to John, Lord Scrope; the other bearing the name of John Darwyntwater, Esq., of York. In the churchyard is a large blue slab, removed from the nave, once ornamented with a brazen crozier, cross, and chalice, and said to have covered the grave of an unknown Abbot of Jervaux. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Bishop of Ripon, and worth £225. Present incumbent, the Rev. Edgar Carr, B.A.
The School is a neat Gothic building, erected in 1857, at a cost of £640. Previous to its erection, the school was held in the lower storey of the church tower and the west end of the south aisle.
Ainderby Hall is a quaint old-fashioned house in the village, the property of H. Wormald-Wormald, Esq. (son of the late William Armitage, Esq.) - who assumed the name of Wormald in 1871, under the will of his great-uncle - and the residence of A. C. T. Orde-Powlett, Esq., J.P., son of the Hon. A. C. Orde-Powlett, of Thorney Hall, Spennithorne. Ainderby Villa and Ainderby House are also neat houses - the former, the property and residence of Miss Elizabeth Robson, gentlewoman; and the latter, the residence of Mr. W. L. Bailey.
MORTON-UPON-SWALE township comprises 1,588 acres of land, chiefly belonging to the Earl of Harewood (lord of the manor), Harewood, Leeds; Basil T. Woodd, Esq., Knaresborough; John Fryer, Kirkby Fleetham; and Mrs. Mackirdy, Normanby Terrace, Gateshead. The rateable value is £2,394, and the number of inhabitants 273.
The village stands on the Northallerton and Bedale road, near the Swale, which is crossed by a good stone bridge of four arches, The Methodists have a chapel in the village, erected in 1815, and there is also one belonging to the members of the United Methodist Free Church, built in 1879. The Manor House is a quaint old-fashioned brick building, with mullioned windows and huge stone chimney. A short distance from the village is Ainderby Railway Station, which is situated in this township.
About two miles south of Morton is Fairholme, a hamlet consisting of two farms.
The impropriate tithes of Morton-cum-Fairholme belong to B. T. Woodd, Esq., and are commuted for a rent-charge of £241.
The poor have the rents of a house and a piece of land, amounting to £12 10s., which is distributed in coals, groceries, &c.
THRINTOFT township comprises 1,183 acres, rateable value £1,452, and population 146. The land belongs to the Earl of Harewood, who is also lord of the manor; John Bellerby, Esq., J.P., Burnholm, York; Mrs. Gill, York; Mrs. Buckle, Scarborough; Dr. John Hodgson, Northallerton; and Mr. George Clark, Thrintoft Park.
The village is long and straggling, and is distant about one mile from Ainderby Steeple. The impropriate tithes of the township have been commuted for a rent-charge of £160, payable to B. T. Woodd, Esq.
WARLABY is a small township of 754½ acres, situated in the vale of the Wiske. It is rated at £1,066, and contains 78 inhabitants. The landowners are the Exors. of T. C. Booth, Esq., Warlaby; H. Cook, Esq., Benwell Grove, Newcastle-on-Tyne; Ed. Bell, Esq., Darlington; Henry Rutson, Esq., Newby Wiske; T. C. Heslington, Esq., Ripon; and Mr. T. H. Whitelock, Low Sober. The village is small, and is situated about one mile S.E. of Ainderby.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.