"ALDBOROUGH, or Oldborough, now but a village, in the parish of its name, is one mile east from Boroughbridge, situated on the river Ure ; the parish being partly in the upper division of Claro wapentake, and partly in its lower division. This village has declined in consequence, since the removal of the bridge to Boroughbridge, which took place about the time of the conquest ; and in later times a further diminution of its importance occurred, by being placed in the same schedule of the Reform Bill as its neighbour Boroughbridge. Before the alteration in the representation, it returned two members to parliament, having done so since the reign of Philip and Mary, in 1558. The parish church is dedicated to St. Andrew ; the living is a vicarage, in the gift of the dean and chapter of York : the present incumbent is the Rev. George Holdsworth. The population of the whole parish of Aldborough, in 1821 was 2,129, and in 1831, 2,447, of which last number 620 were returned for the township."
any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016