GENUKI Home page    Alne Parish<br>main page Alne
Parish
main page

ALNE:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"ALNE, a parish partly in the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, but chiefly in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding, of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Aldwork, Alne, Flawith, Tholthorp, Tollerton, and Youlton, and containing 1418 inhabitants, of which number, 386 are in the township of Alne, 4 miles S.S.W. from Easingwold. The living is a discharged vicarage, within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Alne and Tollerton, rated in the king's books at 10, and in the patronage of R. Bethell, Esq. The church is a handsome structure, dedicated to St. Mary. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"ALDWARK, a township in the parish of ALNE, partly in the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, and partly in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding, of the county of YORK, 6 miles E.S.E. from Aldborough, containing 163 inhabitants. The navigable river Ure runs through the township."


"FLAWITH, a township in the parish of ALNE, partly in the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK, and partly in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.W. from Easingwold, containing 94 inhabitants."


"THOLTHORP, a township in the parish of ALNE, partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, and partly in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding, of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.W. from Easingwold, containing 238 inhabitants."


"TOLLERTON, a township in the parish of ALNE, partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, but chiefly in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding, of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.W. from Easingwold, containing 481 inhabitants. It is within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Alne and Tollerton."


"YOULTON, a township in the parish of ALNE, wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 65 miles S.S.W. from Easingwold, containing 56 inhabitants.

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014