"AMPLEFORTH, is a small village and township, in the parish of its name, which is partly in the liberty of St. Peter, of York, and partly in the wapentakes of Birdforth and Ryedale ; about four miles and a half south-west from Helmsley. In the parish is a catholic college, the superior of which is the Rev. Richard Towers, who has also established a free school, conducted upon the national plan. The parish contained, at the last census, 623 inhabitants, and the township, with that of Oswaldkirk Quarter, 398 of that number.
Please see Helmsley Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this township."