"AMPLEFORTH, (or Ampleford), a parish, chiefly in the wapentake of Ryedale, partly in the wapentake of Birdforth, in the North Riding of Yorkshire; and partly in the liberty of St. Peter of York, 4 miles to the S.W. of Helmsley. It includes the three townships of Ampleforth Birdforth, Ampleforth St. Peter, and Ampleforth Oswaldkirk. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £261, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to St. Hilda. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel here. There is a Roman Catholic college at Ampleforth Lodge, which was founded at the commencement of this century. It is dedicated to St. Andrew. The parish charities amount to £29."
"OSWALDKIRK QUARTER, a township in the parish of Ampleforth, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 8 miles N.E. of Easingwold. The village is small, and chiefly agricultural. There is a National school."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013