The congregation at Appleton-Wiske was founded in 1835. Mr. Trowsdale, a man of wealth and long a member of the church at Whitby, came then into the possession of an estate on which was a chapel which he fitted up for congregational worship. It has usually enjoyed the benefit of the services of students (from Pickering and elsewhere), though sometimes the church has had a pastor for a short season.
1838. Rev. JOHN BOYD.
1850. Rev. GEORGE SWANN.
1854. Rev. -- GAUKROGER.
After Mr. Trowsdale's death his widow continued the generous sustentation which her husband had begun, and practised great economy that she might serve with greater liberality the cause of God. She died 1866.