GENUKI Home page    Appleton Le Street Parish<br>main page Appleton Le Street
Parish
main page

APPLETON LE STREET:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"APPLETON LE STREET, a parish, in the wapentake of Ryedale, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the W. of New Malton. It is situated near the river Rye, and comprises the chapelry of Swinton, and the townships of Amotherby, Broughton, and Hildenley. The name of the parish is derived from the fact of the Roman way (or street) to Aldborough running through it. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value 515, in the patronage of the Rev. J. J. Peach. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The parochial charities amount to 26."


"AMOTHERBY, a chapelry in the parish of Appleton-le-Street, in the wapentake of Ryedale, in the North Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the N.W. of New Malton. The river Rye passes near it. There is an endowed school, with an income of 20; six of the scholars are free."


"BROUGHTON, a township in the parish of Appleton-le-Street, wapentake of Ryedale, in the North Riding of the county of York, 2 miles from New Malton. It was the site of a hospital founded by Eustace Fitz-John, before the middle of the 12th century. The Wesleyans have a chapel in the village."


"HILDENLEY, a township in the parish of Appleton-le-Street, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 2 miles S.W. of Malton. It is situated near the river Derwent and the York railway."


"SWINTON, a township in the parish of Appleton-le-Street, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 2 miles N.W. of New Malton."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014