Appleton Le Street
Parish main page
Wapentake of Ryedale - Electoral Division of Hovingham - Poor Law Union, Petty Sessional Division, and County Court District of Malton - Rural Deanery of Helmsley - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This parish extends southward from the Rye, and includes the townships of Appleton-le-Street, with Easthorpe, Amotherby, Broughton, Hildenley, and Swinton, comprising an area of 5,617 acres, and a population of 955. The scenery, though much less beautiful than that in the upper part of Ryedale, is pleasingly picturesque. The township of Appleton-le-Street with Easthorpe contains 1,559 acres of land, belonging chiefly to James A. Fairbank, Esq., who is also lord of the manor, Appleton-le-Street, and Warren Park, near Bingley; and the Earl of Carlisle. The soil is chiefly clay and sand, resting on limestone. The Malton and Thirsk railway, passes through the township, but the nearest stations are Barton-le-Street and Amotherby. The rateable value of the township is £1,676, and the population, 178.
The village of Appleton-le-Street is situated on the Malton and Hovingham road, about four miles W.N.W. of the former town, and a mile W. of Amotherby station. Like other places, with the same addendum to their names, it stood on an old Roman road, but every trace of this has disappeared. The church (All Saints) is an ancient structure, standing on an eminence, and exhibiting in its tower, yet untouched by modern hands, the rude simplicity of the early Norman style. The other parts were restored in 1859, by the then vicar, but not on the lines of its original simplicity. The fabric comprises nave, aisle, chancel, porch, and tower, containing two bells. The east window of the south aisle was inserted in 1886, by the parishioners, to the memory of the Rev. C. Pierrepont Peach, their late vicar. The reverend gentleman was the son of the Rev. James Jarvis Cleaver, who assumed the name of Peach on succeeding, in 1845, to the estates of Samuel Peach-Peach, Esq., of Tockington, county Gloucester, his wife's father. Mr. C. Pierrepont Cleaver inherited the property on the death of his brother, in 1867, and the following year assumed the name of Peach. The living is a vicarage in the patronage of Mrs. Peach, and worth about £400, derived from tithe rentcharge, £182, and 262 acres of glebe land. The present incumbent is the Rev. Thomas Crofts Ward, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge, who was inducted in 1888. The register dates from the year 1680.
The old vicarage house, now called Appleton House, is the residence of Mrs. Peach, widow of the late vicar, and a new vicarage is now in course of erection at Amotherby.
Easthorpe is a hamlet in this township, containing 711 acres. The Hall is the residence of the Hon. Edward Lyulph Stanley, M.A. The manorial privileges belong to James Fairbank, Esq., who purchased Mr. Baker-Cresswell's lands and rights in Appleton township about 16 years ago.
The poor of the parish have a rent-charge of £3 10s., purchased with £70 left by Henry Stockdale, in 1677, and paid out of Mr. Fairbank's estate.
AMOTHERBY township contains 1,739 acres, chiefly the property of Peter Thelluson, Esq. (lord of the manor), of Broadsworth, near Doncaster; exors. of the late Thomas Chandler, Esq.; the Rev. J. F. Green, of White's Hill, Stroud; Robert Wyse, Esq., Norton; and the Rev. T. C. Ward, in right of his glebe (119 acres). The rateable value is £2,327, and the population, 280. In the high grounds the soil is calcareous, in the low grounds clayey.
The village, sometimes called Emmerby, probably a lingual contraction of Amotherby, is situated three miles W. of Malton, and near the Malton and Thirsk railway, on which there is a station here. The church, dedicated to St. Helen, is of ancient foundation. It was thoroughly restored and enlarged in 1871, by the late Rev. C. P. Peach, at a cost of £2,000. The style is late Norman, and fortunately the restoration was carried out by worthy hands, that preserved as much as possible of the original Norman work. It comprises chancel, nave, with a north aisle of four bays, south porch, and west tower, containing two bells. The pulpit is of Caen stone; the font (Hildenley stone) is supported by a thick central shaft, surrounded by eight smaller ones of marble. These were designed and carved by the late Rev. C. P. Peach, who also painted the glass in the east window. The subject of the centre light is the Crucifixion; the two side ones are filled with a geometric design. On the north side of the chancel is a life-sized effigy of a knight, clad in armour, with a shield bearing three boars' heads. The legs are crossed at the knee, which is supposed to indicate that he had been twice in the Holy Wars. On the opposite side is a tombstone bearing an inscription in old Norman French, which has been translated:- "Here lies William D'Ebor - Pray for his soul!" The old Norman arch of the inner doorway is in a good state of preservation, and in the porch are preserved the fragments of some old Saxon crosses in floral designs, the remains of a piscina, an old sundial, and other relics of antiquity, found during the restoration. The old Norman font has been relegated to the churchyard. The church is seated for 200 persons. The vicarage house is now in course of erection close by.
Near the church is the Parish Room, a neat building, erected by the late Rev. C. P. Peach, in 1876. It is used for the transaction of parish business, and also as a reading room.
The school, a good stone building, was erected by subscription in 1866, and an infants' room was added in 1872. It is endowed with 20 acres of land, which lets for £16 15s. a year. The total number of children on the books is 133.
Newsham is a hamlet in this township, near the river Rye, which is here crossed by Newsham Bridge, The Manor House is the residence of Mr. Ernest Bulmer. Letters are delivered via Pickering. The population is returned with Butterwick, in which township it is included for the election of county councillors.
BROUGHTON is a small township containing 855 acres of land and 109 inhabitants. The soil and subsoil are clay and limestone. The principal owners are Thomas Isherwood, Esq., Heywood, Lancashire, who is lord of the manor; Mrs. Wright, Broughton; Mr. Thomas Williams, Scarborough; and Thomas Walker, Esq., Malton. The gross rental of the township is £1,282, and the rateable value, £1,148. Mr. Hinderwell, the historian of Scarborough, tells us that vestiges of the Roman road leading to Dunus Sinus were discovered here by Mr. Robert King, and traced thence to Newsham Bridge, where it crossed the Rye. Whilst making the fences of the land then enclosed, 11 Roman urns were found, indicating the existence of a Roman settlement here. There are several barrows or burial mounds in the district, and from their presence this place has probably received its name of Broughton, that is, Barugh or Barrow town. The village is 1½ miles W. of Malton.
HILDENLEY is a small township and estate containing 284 acres, situated two miles W. by S. of Malton. Its rateable value is £347, and the number of inhabitants 43, who are all employed on, or connected with the estate, which is the manor and property of Sir Charles William Strickland, Bart., D.L. and J.P. The Hall is an ancient stone building, erected, apparently, about the time of Queen Anne. It is pleasantly situated within an extensive park.
Stone of a hard and durable nature is found in the township, and was formerly sent in large quantities to distant parts of the country.
SWINTON. - This township comprises 1,203 acres of land, chiefly owned by William Henry Garforth, Esq., J.P., Swinton Grange; A. J. Smith, Malton; Thomas Preston, Esq., J.P., Norton; William Wise, Esq. (lord of the manor), Bristol; and Arthur Headlam, Esq., Whorlton, near Barnard Castle, The soil is in some places of a calcareous nature, in others clayey. The gross rental is £1,945; rateable value, £1,728; and population, 345. The village of Swinton (Swein's town) is situated about 2¼ miles W. of Malton, and three quarters of a mile from Amotherby station. There are chapels here belonging to the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and an infants' school, erected in 1858, and wholly supported by Sir C. W. Strickland, Bart.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.