[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"ARKENGARTHDALE, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire. The Dale is about 7 or 8 miles in length, commencing at Dale head, running in a SE. direction, and terminating in the town of Reeth. There is a small but neat stone church, (lately erected, the old one being in ruins) situated near the most populous part of the Dale, consecrated in 1820, and dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches
for photograph). The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Lord Viscount (John) Lowther, there is likewise a Methodist chapel built by subscription, and a free school built and endowed by the late George Brown, Esq. of Stockton, lord of the manor, the school and books are free for all children residing in the Dale, the endowment is £60. per annum, paid out of the rents of the manor, the master has also a house and a piece of land. The inhabitants of Arkengarthdale are principally miners, and Arkengarthdale possesses one of the most productive fields of lead ore, worked at the present day, and a smelting mill the most complete and extensive in the country. Population, 1512.
The present Church was erected through the benefaction of the late George Brown, Esq. the foundation stone of which was laid September 24, 1817, and an inscription to that effect is upon the Church. This parish, of small extent, is co-extensive with the township, and inhabited chiefly by miners. The lead mines here, appear to have been worked as early as the reign of King John. The annual produce of the mines, carried on under the firm of the Arkengarthdale and Darwent Mining Company, was some few years ago, estimated at 2000 tons. It is a narrow dale on the north-side of Swaledale"
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Arkle Town
- Dale Head
- Scar House
- Seal Houses
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]