"ARKENGARTHDALE, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 12 miles N.W. from Richmond, containing 1512 inhabitants. The living is u perpetual curacy, within the peculiar jui-isdietion of the manorial court of Arkengarth-Dale, New Forest, and Hope, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small neat stone structure, rebuilt in 1820. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, lately erected by subscription. A free school was built by the late George Brown, Esq., lord of the manor, who endowed it with £60 per annum, payable out of the manor, for the free instruction of all children of the Dale; the master has also a house and a small piece of land rent-free. The Dale is about eight miles in length, and contains several villages and hamlets: the inhabitants are engaged in the lead mines, which are extremely productive, some of them having been worked so early as the reign of King John."
any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016