"ARKENGARTHDALE, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 12 miles N.W. from Richmond, containing 1512 inhabitants. The living is u perpetual curacy, within the peculiar jui-isdietion of the manorial court of Arkengarth-Dale, New Forest, and Hope, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small neat stone structure, rebuilt in 1820. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, lately erected by subscription. A free school was built by the late George Brown, Esq., lord of the manor, who endowed it with £60 per annum, payable out of the manor, for the free instruction of all children of the Dale; the master has also a house and a small piece of land rent-free. The Dale is about eight miles in length, and contains several villages and hamlets: the inhabitants are engaged in the lead mines, which are extremely productive, some of them having been worked so early as the reign of King John."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]