Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades
for ARKENGARTHDALE in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
- Post, Money Order Office, and Savings Bank, Mr. Geo. Stubbs, postmaster.
Letters arrive via Reeth and Richmond (week days) at 10-45 a.m., and are
despatched at 1-45 p.m. No Sunday business. Reeth is the nearest Telegraph Office.
Miscellany of trades
Marked 1 reside at Arkletown, 2 at Booze, 3 at Langthwaite, and the rest where specified.
- 1 Alderson John, cowkeeper and flour dealer
- Alderson Thomas, joiner, &c., Low Eskeleth
- 2 Alsop Edward, washing agent
- 3 Barningham & Sons, shoe and clog makers, and cowkeepers
- Bell William, cowkeeper, Tottergill
- Blenkiron James, mine agent, West house
- Brown John, estate mason, New houses
- Calvert Barnard, grocer and cowkeeper, Whaw
- Calvert John, cowkeeper, Whaw
- Carter Joseph, accountant, C. B. yard
- Carter William, greengrocer, &c., and carrier, C. B. yard
- Carter Mrs., milliner, grocer, &c., C. B. yard
- Caygill John Thos., cowkeeper, Whaw lane
- 2 Coates V., cowkeeper and gamewatcher
- Craig Mrs., caretaker, Eskeleth house
- Croft Sarah, dressmaker, High Green
- 1 Daykin James, insurance agent
- 3 Frankland Edward, vict., Red Lion
- Gilpin-Brown Geo. T., Esq., J.P., Scar house
- Groves Edith, dressmaker, Rigg end
- Groves Henry, schoolmaster, School house
- Hall Nathan, cowkeeper, Hill side
- 1 Harker James, cowkeeper
- 1 Harker Margaret, cowkeeper
- 1 Harker Ralph, grocer, &c.
- Harker Thomas, mining agent, Rigg's yard
- 3 Hillary J., grocer, patent medicine vendor, &c.
- 2 Hillary Thomas, cowkeeper
- 3 Hind Thomas, blacksmith, Hill top
- Hird Mrs. Betty, Shepherd's lodge
- Hird Mrs. Mary Ann, The Rigg
- Hird Robt., carrier and cowkeeper, High Green
- 3 Hodgson Thomas, grocer, &c.
- Literary Institute, Thomas Hind, secretary
- 2 Longstaff Robert, cowkeeper
- Martin Mrs., Faggergill
- Mason Mr. Anthony, New houses
- Messenger Mrs., caretaker, Scar House
- Miners' and Mechanics Institute, C. B. yard; A Mason, sec. and treas.; W. Peacock, librn.
- 3 Mudd Joseph, clogger and shopkeeper
- National School, Henry Groves, master; Miss Ellen Groves, and Miss E. A. Mason, assts.
- Peacock Mrs. Mary Ann, Seal houses
- Peacock William. agent to the Arkendale Mining Co., C. B. yard
- 3 Raine Mrs. Luke
- Raisbeck Jane, lodgings, Plantation cottages
- Slack James, cowkeeper, Lock house
- 3 Smith Joseph, stonemason
- Stoddard George, blacksmith, Three Trees
- 3 Stoddard Matthew, greengrocer
- 2 Stones Mrs. Margt., and Sons, cowkeepers
- 3 Stubbs George, grocer, draper, postmaster, and Temperance Hotel
- 3 Stubbs John, grocer and draper
- Tinkler Rev. John, M.A., vicar, The vicarage
- Waller John, estate joiner, Plantation house
- Wharton Robert, cowkeeper, Hill side
- Wharton Mrs., Whaw
- 3 Whitehead J., butcher and cowkeeper
- Whitehead Obadiah, vict. and farmer, C. B. Inn
- Willey Mrs. Margaret, Scar house
- Willey Michael, head gamekeeper to Geo. T. Gilpin-Brown, Esq., Scar house
- Woodward Mrs. Margaret, High green
- Atkinson Enoch (and cattle dealer), Hill top
- Atkinson Thomas (carrier and shopkeeper), Moor Intake
- Brown Edmund, High Faggergill
- Carter Joseph, Pepper hall
- Carter William, Boldershaw
- Caygill Joseph (and coal merchant), Whaw
- Harker Joseph, Hill side
- Hewitson James, Raven's park and Dale Head
- Highmoor Charles, Park Head
- Hird James (corn miller and carrier)
- Hird John, Shepherd's lodge
- Hutchinson Christopher, junr., Seal houses
- Hutchinson Christopher, senr., High Eskeleth
- Kipling John Liddell, Low Faggergill
- March Isaheila, and Sons, Hill side
- Miller John, Seal houses
- Peacock John Wilson, Seal houses, Shaw house, and Stang house
- Peacock Joseph, Punchard house
- Peacock Thomas, Cocker house
- Robson James, Kitlah
- Stones Matthew Edward, Seal houses
- Thompson James (and carrier), C. B. yard
- Whitehead William, Seal houses
- 2 Wilson Mrs. Eleanor, and Son
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©CRH 2006
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
[Last updated at 20.53 on Thursday, 01 August 2013, by Colin Hinson. ©2013]