"BARNINGHAM, a parish, in the western division of the wapentake of Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the S.E. of Barnard Castle. Darlington is its post town. It is situated on the confines of Arkengarth Forest, and includes the townships of Hope and Scargill, with part of Newsham. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, of the value of £553, in the gift of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There is a chapel for Wesleyans, and a school with an endowment of £20 a year. The principal seat is Barningham Park."
"HOPE, a township in the parish of Barningham, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 3 miles from Barningham, and 6 N. of Reeth. The land is marshy. The trustees of the late G. Brown, Esq., are lords of the manor."
"NEWSHAM, a township in the parishes of Kirkby-Ravensworth and Barningham, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Kirkby-Hill, and 7 N.W. of Richmond. The village, which is inconsiderable, is wholly agricultural. A large portion of the land is in wood and moor."
"SCARGILL, a township in the parish of Barningham, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 4 miles S. of Barnard Castle, 3 W. of Greta- Bridge, and 3 from Barningham church. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. There is a parochial school for both sexes, in which Divine service is performed every Sunday evening."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013