GENUKI Home page    Barton Parish<br>main page Barton
Parish
main page

BARTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"BARTON, a parish, in the eastern division of the wapentake of Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the S.W. of Darlington, its post town. It lies on the border of Durham, and contains the township of Newton-Morrell, and part of the township of Stapleton. Limestone is abundant in the district. The parish is divided into two chapelries, St. Cuthbert's and St. Mary's; the livings are perpetual curacies* in the diocese of Ripon, value 100, in the patronage, respectively, of the vicars of Stanwick and Gilling. There is a small endowed school, established in 1683."


"BARTON SAINT CUTHBERT, a chapelry in the parish of Barton, and wapentake of Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles from Darlington. See Barton, Yorkshire."


"BARTON SAINT MARY, a chapelry in the parish of Barton, wapentake of Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles from Darlington."


"NEWTON MORRELL, a township in the parish of Barton, wapentake of East Gilling, North Riding county York, 62 1 miles S.W. of Darlington."


"STAPLETON, a township in the parishes of Barton and Croft-on-Tees, wapentake of East Gilling, North Riding county York, 2 miles S.W. of Darlington, and 3 N.E. of Barton. It is situated on the river Tees, and gives name to the Stapyltons of Myton. R. Bower, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014