|Yorkshire||North RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BARTON, (or Barton St Mary's) a parish in the wapentake of Gilling East, & liberty of Richmondshire; 7 miles NE. of Richmond. There are in this township two churches, one of them dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), and the other to St. Cuthbert. The living of St. Mary is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Gilling; incumbent, the Rev. John Atkinson. Here is also a Free School, with an endowment of £8 per annum; and an excellent lime stone quarry, for the purposes of agriculture, containing, by a late analysis, a greater proportion of pure lime than any other stone in the neighbourhood. A water fall bridge was erected here in 1821. Population, 436."
"NEWTON MORRELL, in the parish of Barton, wapentake of Gilling East and liberty of Richmondshire; ½ mile ENE. of Barton, 8 miles NNE. of Richmond. Pop. 31."