GENUKI Home page    Barton Le Street Parish<br>main page Barton Le Street
Parish
main page

BARTON LE STREET:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"BARTON LE STREET, a parish comprising the township of Coneysthorpe in the wapentake of BULMER, and the townships of Barton le Street and Butterwick in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, and containing 386 inhabitants, of which number, 176 are in the township of Barton le Street, 4 miles W.N.W. from New Malton. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at 14. 18. 6., and in the patronage of the Marchioness of Hertford. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is said to have been erected with materials from the ruins of St. Mary's abbey, York: it contains some curious specimens of ancient sculpture. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Rye."


"BUTTERWICK, a township in that part of the parish of BARTON-le-STREET, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding, of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.W. from New Malton, containing 50 inhabitants."


"CONEYSTHORPE, a township in that part of the parish of BARTON LE STREET, which is in the wapentake of BULMEB, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W. from New Malton, containing 160 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014