Barton Le Street
Parish main page
Wapentake of Ryedale - Electoral Division of Hovingham - Poor Law Union, Petty Sessional Division and County Court District of Malton - Rural Deanery of Helmsley - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This parish extends from the river Rye, southward, to Castle Howard park, and includes the townships of Barton-le-Street and Butterwick in Ryedale Wapentake, and Coneysthorpe in Bulmer Wapentake. Its total area is 3,540 acres, and population 414. The surface is undulated, and the scenery varied and interesting. The township of Barton comprises 1,675 acres, solely the property and manor of the Hon. Mrs. Meynell-Ingram, of Temple Newsam, near Leeds. Limestone is abundant, and with clay forms the subsoil of the greater part of the township; the chief crops are wheat, oats, and barley; rateable value £1,726; population 166. The Malton and Thirsk branch of the North Eastern railway passes through the township, and has a station here.
The village is pleasantly situated 5½ miles west of Malton. It is a place of considerable antiquity, and is distinguished from other Bartons by the addition of le-Street, denoting its situation on an old Roman road. The Church (St. Michael) was rebuilt in 1870-1, at the cost of the late Hugo Francis Meynell-Ingram, Esq. It is a handsome stone edifice, consisting of chancel and nave with organ chamber, north porch, and west bell turret containing two bells, recast and hung at the expense of the Hon. Mrs. Meynell-Ingram in 1888. It is built on the lines and in the style of the previous church, and all the elaborate and grotesque old Norman sculpture from that edifice has been preserved in the new building. The north porch has been reconstructed out of two old profusely sculptured doorways which were in the west and south walls of the church. Above the inner door are two pieces of quaint old carving representing the Nativity and the Adoration of the Magi and the Shepherds; and here also are preserved portions of an old series of the Months, supposed to belong to the Saxon period. All the grotesque old corbels with their grinning heads that were on the outside of the old church, occupy a similar position on the inside of the present building, and the old Norman piscina, with richly carved shaft, has been rebuilt into the wall of the chancel. The reredos and font are modern, but of a neat design, in carved Caen stone. The pulpit is oak, modern, and richly carved, and the interior fittings are all of the same material. The east window is of three lights and filled with stained glass, and on the south side of the nave there are two memorial windows, one inscribed to Francis Carr, who died in 1873, and the other to Eliz. Borton, who died in 1874. A funeral brass on this wall commemorates the Rev. Chas. Hodgson, M.A., who died in 1869, having held the rectory 36 years, and on the opposite wall there is a brass to the memory of the Lund family, one of whom, Rev. Thomas Lund, was rector of this parish, and died in 1832. A handsome monumental tablet to the memory of Hugo Francis Meynell-Ingram, who died in 1871, adorns the north wall of the chancel, In the church yard is a massive roughly hewn stone, 3ft. high, with a square socket on the top, which has probably formed the base of an old Saxon churchyard cross. The living is a rectory in the patronage of the Hon. Mrs. Meynell-Ingram, worth £341 a year (including 88 acres of glebe) with residence, and held by the Rev. John Chas. Cox, LL.D., and F.S.A. The gross tithe rent-charge is £409.
The school is a neat building in the centre of the village, attended by 40 children.
BUTTERWICK is a small township and village on the south bank of the Rye, 2 miles from Barton railway station, and nearly 8 miles N.W. of Malton. The landowners are Lord Headley, who is also lord of the manor; Hardwick Lownsbrough, Butterwick; Jeffrey Nicholson, and Wm. Wood. The soil varies from a deep loam to clay and sand. The rateable value of the township is £802, area 860 acres, and number of inhabitants 63. The chapel-of-ease is a plain stone structure, in the Early English style, built in 1868, at a cost of between £300 and £400, and recently altered and improved. The rector has this year (1889) recovered the old Norman font formerly in the parish church, but for some time degraded into a cattle trough at Slingsby, and has restored it to its original purpose in this chapel.
Numerous fragments of Roman pottery have been recently found in this township which may be taken as evidence of a Roman settlement at Butterwick.
CONEYSTHORPE is a township of 1,205 acres, situated on the southern limits of the parish, and within the Wapentake of Bulmer. The Earl of Carlisle is sole owner and lord of the manor. The soil is loamy, resting on limestone; a large portion is laid down in pasture. For rating purposes the township is valued at £750; population 185.
The village which is both neat and well built, is situated on an open green near the northern entrance to Castle Howard park, and 2½ miles from Barton. The chapel-of-ease was erected by the late Earl of Carlisle in 1835, restored in 1888, and re-opened by the Archbishop of York on the 13th of April of the same year. It is a neat building with western bell turret. The village school was built by the late earl in 1852, and is chiefly supported by the owner of Castle Howard; it is attended by 46 children.
On the heights dividing Coneysthorpe from Barton-le-Street there are a large deep trench and other earth works, supposed to have been constructed during the Romano-British period. There are also several barrows or tumuli, some of which have been examined, and found to contain sepulchral remains of the same period.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.