GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
  Yorkshire Yorkshire   North Riding North Riding   Neighbours Nearby places

The Ancient Parish of BEDALE

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"BEDALE, a parish in the wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 6 miles from Masham, 8 from Northallerton, 9 from Middleham, 14 from Ripon, and 224 from London. The town is tolerably well built, and contains according to the census taken in 1821, a population of 1137. The church (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Gregory is a spacious structure, in the Gothic style of architecture, and has a good tower or steeple, in the deanry of Catterick, diocese of Chester, value 89L. 4s. 9½d. Patrons, Henry Peirse and Thomas Stapylton, Esqrs. The market is on Tuesday, and is well supplied with all kinds of butcher's meat, poultry, butter, and vegetables. Bedale is situated in a rich valley about two miles to the west of Leeming lane: the surrounding country is extremely fertile: and the crops, both of corn and grass, are abundant. Fairs, Easter and Whit-Tuesdays, for horned cattle and sheep; July 6 and 7, October 11 and 12, for horned cattle, sheep, and leather; Monday se'night before Christmas-day, for horned cattle, sheep, and pigs. Principal Inns, Black Swan, and Royal-Oak.

The Castle of Bedale, the residence and most probably the workmanship of Brian Fitzalan, stood a little to the south-west of the Church-Steeple, from which it appears to have been detached only by a street. The foundations have been traced to a considerable extent from the gardens of Henry Peirse, Esq. the present owner of the site, into a field north-west from the church, but no vestiges now remain above the surface. The church living is a rectory, in the gift of Henry Pierce, Esq. M. P. and of Miles Stapleton, alternately. Here is also a Methodist chapel, built A.D. 1821. The poor of Bedale enjoy the benefit of many munificent charitable bequests, and here is a hospital for 6 poor men of the parish, founded and endowed by Peter Samwaies, D. D. and rector, A. D. 1698. Also a hospital for three poor widows, founded by Richard and Thomas Young. There is also a free grammar school, endowed with the annual sum of 7. 11s. 4d. by the Crown paid annually, at the audit holden at Richmond, out of the land-revenues of the crown , and 13. 6s. 8d, by a Countess Dowager of Warwick, which is now converted into a National School."

Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.

  • Aiskew
  • Benkil Grange
  • Burrill
  • Cobshaw
  • Cowling
  • Firby
  • Firby Grange
  • Great Crakehall
  • Kirkbridge
  • Kirkby Bridge
  • Langthorne
  • Leases
  • Little Crakehall
  • Little Leeming
  • Low Holtby
  • Rand Grange

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]

Bibliography

Cemeteries

Census

Charities

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Court Records

Directories

Gazetteers

History

Land and Property

Maps

Memorial Inscriptions

Probate Records

Societies


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014