GENUKI Home page    Birkby Parish<br>main page Birkby
Parish
main page

BIRKBY:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"BIRKBY, a parish in the wapentake of ALLERTONSHIRE, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Hutton-Bonville, and the townships of Birkby and Little Smeaton, and containing 261 inhabitants, of which number, 90 are in the township of Birkby, 6 miles N.N.W. from North Allerton. The living is a discharged rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction of Allerton and Allertonshire, belonging to the Bishop of Durham, rated in the king's books at 6.13.4., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Durham. The church is dedicated to St. Peter."


"HUTTON BONVILLE, a chapelry in the parish of BIRKBY, wapentake of ALLERTONSHIRE, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.W. from North Allerton, containing 107 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Durham, for Allerton and Allertonshire, endowed with 800 royal bounty. H. Piers, Esq. was patron in 1791 The chapel is dedicated to St. Lawrence."


"LITTLE SMEATON, a township in the parish of BIRKBY, wapentake of ALLERTONSHIRE, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.W. from North Allerton, containing 64 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014