GENUKI Home page    Bossall Parish<br>main page Bossall
Parish
main page

BOSSALL:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"BOSSALL, a parish comprising the chapelry of Sand-Hutton, in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, and the townships of Bossall, Butter-Crambe, Claxton, Harton, Sand-Hutton, and a part of that of Flaxton on the Moor, in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, and containing 1365 inhabitants, of which number, 31 are in the township of Bossall, 10 miles N.E. from York. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at 12, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church, dedicated to St. Botolph, is a handsome cruciform structure, with a steeple rising from the centre. The village of Bossall was-formerly large, but it does not now comprise more than three or four houses: foundations of buildings have been discovered in an adjoining field, thence called " Old Bossall." Courts leet are held for the several manors within the parish, which is bounded on the south and east by the river Derwent."


"BUTTERCRAMBE, a township in that part of the parish of BOSSALL, which is in the wapentake of BULMEK, North riding of the 'county of YORK, 9 miles E.N.E. from York, containing 235 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated on the western bank of the river Derwent, which is here navigable, and is crossed by a stone bridge. A chapel of ease has been erected here. In the vicinity'is Aldby Park, on an eminence which was originally the site of a Roman station, and subsequently that of a royal Saxon ville."


"CLAXTON, a township in that part of the parish of BOSSALL, which is in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles N. from York, containing 135 inhabitants. The petty sessions for the division are held here."


"FLAXTON ON THE MOOR, a township partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK, East riding, and partly in that part of the parish of BOSSALL, which is in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles N.N.E. from York. The population of the former part is returned with the liberty of St. Peter; the latter contains 299 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. In 1807, a lead box, containing about three hundred small Saxon silver coins, in high preservation, some silver rings, and several pieces of spurs, were turned up by the plough in a field near this place."


"HARTON, a township in that part of the parish of BOSSALL, which is in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 10 miles N.E. from York, containing 190 inhabitants."


"SAND HUTTON, a township in that part of the parish of BOSSALL, which is in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles N.E.. from York, containing 202 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014