GENUKI Home page    Bossall Parish<br>main page Bossall
Parish
main page

BOSSALL:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"BOSSALL, a parish, in the wapentake of Bulmer, in the North Riding of the county of York, 10 miles to the N.E. of York. It is situated on the banks of the river Derwent, and contains the chapelries of Buttercrambe and Claxton, and the townships of Bossall, Harton, Sand Hutton, and Flaxton. The village of Bossall was of greater extent formerly than it is now. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, of the value of 445, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church, a handsome building in the form of a cross, with a central tower, is dedicated to St. Botolph. In addition to the parish church there are two district churches recently erected, one at Flaxton, and the other in the township of Sand Hutton. The living of the former is of the value of 250, and of the latter 200, both in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Durham. There are some small charitable endowments, producing about 4 a year."


"BUTTERCRAMBE, a township in the parish of Bossall, wapentake of Bulmer, in the North Riding of the county of York, 9 miles to the N. of York. It is situated in a pleasant country, on the banks of the navigable river Derwent, here crossed by a stone bridge, and near the York and Scarborough railway. On the summit of a neighbouring eminence is Aldby Park, the site of the Roman station Derventio, and afterwards of a fortified seat of the Saxon earls of Northumberland. Many Roman relies have been found in the vicinity. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Bossall, in the diocese of York."


"CLAXTON, a chapelry in the parish of Bossall, in the wapentake of Bulmer, in the North Riding of the county of York, 8 miles N.E. of York. Petty sessions for the wapentake of Bulmer are held here. The living is a curacy in the diocese of York, annexed to the perpetual curacy of Sandhutton, value together 200, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Durham."


"FLAXTON ON THE MOOR, a township in the parish of Bossall, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 8 miles N.E. of York. The York and Scarborough branch line of the North-Eastern railway has a station within half a mile of the village. Here is a chapel-of-ease, the living of which is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value 250, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and there is a school for girls and boys in the village. At the beginning of the present century a large number of silver Saxon coins were found here."


"HARTON, a township in the parish of Bossall, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 9 miles N.E. of York. It is a small place situated near the river Derwent, and contains a few farmhouses. There is a Sunday-school, also a village school rebuilt in 1837 by G. Cholmney, Esq., who is lord of the manor and chief landowner."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014