The Ancient Parish of BOSSALL
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"BOSSALL, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer; 9 miles NE. of York. Here is a
very handsome church dedicated to St. Botolph, and built in the form of a
cross (see Churches for photograph), the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of
Durham, of which the Rev. James Britton, D. D. is the incumbent. This place,
which now consists of three houses, was once a considerable village.
Foundations of many houses have from time to time been discovered in an
adjoining field, which on that account is called " Old Bossall" Robert Belt,
Esq. resides at Bossall. Population, 31."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Aldby Park
- Lobster House
- Sand Hutton
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
Andy Kerridge has written an article on
Buttercrambe village giving a recent history and several photographs. There is also a copy of a map of Buttercrambe and Aldby made in 1633.
- Here are 2 photographs of Bossall Hall:
An article on by Peter Darley on Buttercrambe's association with the history of
British Thoroughbred racehorses.
- In 1861 the township of Flaxton (a part in this parish and a
part in the parish of Foston) by an Order in Council, was constituted
a separate and independent parish. See
- In 1861, Sand Hutton and Claxton (townships in this parish)
were constituted a separate parish. See
Sand Hutton with Claxton Parish.
- Andy Kerridge has transcribed the following articles:
- This parish is covered (or partly covered) by the following Societies:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015