Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Bossall:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Bossall:


"ALDBY PARK, (the seat of Henry Darley, Esq.) in the township of Buttercrambe and parish of Bossall; 1½ miles SSE. of Bossall, 10 miles from Malton and York, 15 from Easingwold.

Aldby which signifies in Saxon, an old habitation, is unquestionably the Roman Derventio mentioned by Ptolomy. It is situated on the banks of the Derwent where many remains of antiquities are frequently found; -and upon the top of the hill, towards the river, appears the rubbish of an old castle. -Camden.

It was at this castle, at that time converted into a royal palace by the Northumbrians, that Edwin, earl of Northumberland nearly lost his life by an assassin. In the time of the Saxons, it was a royal village, now a single house. Drake, with some degree of probability, places this station at Stamford-bridge. -And, Young, in his history of Whitby, with some Ingenuity attempts to fix it at Malton."


"BARNBY, a farm house in the township of Buttercrambe and parish of Bossall; ½ mile ENE. of Bossall, 9 miles from Malton, 11 from York."


"BUTTERCRAMBE, in the parish of Bossall, wapentake of Bulmer; 2 miles SSE. of Bossall, 9 miles NE. of York. This village is most delightfully situated on the western bank of the navigable river Derwent, over which it has a good stone bridge. On an eminence, close to the village, stands the noble mansion of Henry Darley, Esq. Here is a Chapel of Ease (see Churches for photograph) under Bossall, the Rev. James Britton, D.D. vicar, officiates at both places. Population, 235."


"CLAXTON, in the parish of Bossall, and wapentake of Bulmer; 1½ miles WSW. of Bossall, 8 miles NE. of York on the Malton road. The Rev. Dr. Britton, vicar of Bossall, is resident here. The Lobster House Inn, kept by Mr. G. Taylor, is in this township. Population, 135."


"FLAXTON, in the parishes of Bossall and Foston, wapentake of Bulmer a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 2¼ miles SSW. of Foston, 8 miles NE. of York. In the autumn of 1807, a lead box was turned up by the plough in a field near this place, which contained about 300 small Saxon silver coins, in high preservation, some silver rings, and several pieces of spurs. Pop. 299."


"HARTON, in the parish of Bossall, and wapentake of Bulmer; 1¼ miles NW. of Bossall, 9 miles NE. of York. Population, 190."


"LOBSTER HOUSE, an Inn, in the township of Claxton, and parish of Bossall; 2¼ miles W. of Bossall, 7¼ miles from York, 10¾ from Malton, 12 from Easingwold. Here the Magistrates for the wapentake of Bulmer hold their Meetings."


"SAND HUTTON, in the parish of Bossall, and wapentake of Bulmer; (the seat of the Rev. Thomas Cutler Rudston Read.); 2½ miles SW. of Bossall, 7 miles NE. of York. Here is a Chapel of Ease (see Churches for photograph), of which the Rev. James Britton, vicar of Bossall, has the curacy. Population, 202."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]