GENUKI Home page    Bossall Parish Bossall
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Bossall:


"ALDBY PARK, (the seat of Henry Darley, Esq.) in the township of Buttercrambe and parish of Bossall; 1½ miles SSE. of Bossall, 10 miles from Malton and York, 15 from Easingwold.

Aldby which signifies in Saxon, an old habitation, is unquestionably the Roman Derventio mentioned by Ptolomy. It is situated on the banks of the Derwent where many remains of antiquities are frequently found; -and upon the top of the hill, towards the river, appears the rubbish of an old castle. -Camden.

It was at this castle, at that time converted into a royal palace by the Northumbrians, that Edwin, earl of Northumberland nearly lost his life by an assassin. In the time of the Saxons, it was a royal village, now a single house. Drake, with some degree of probability, places this station at Stamford-bridge. -And, Young, in his history of Whitby, with some Ingenuity attempts to fix it at Malton."


"BARNBY, a farm house in the township of Buttercrambe and parish of Bossall; ½ mile ENE. of Bossall, 9 miles from Malton, 11 from York."


"BUTTERCRAMBE, in the parish of Bossall, wapentake of Bulmer; 2 miles SSE. of Bossall, 9 miles NE. of York. This village is most delightfully situated on the western bank of the navigable river Derwent, over which it has a good stone bridge. On an eminence, close to the village, stands the noble mansion of Henry Darley, Esq. Here is a Chapel of Ease (see Churches for photograph) under Bossall, the Rev. James Britton, D.D. vicar, officiates at both places. Population, 235."


"CLAXTON, in the parish of Bossall, and wapentake of Bulmer; 1½ miles WSW. of Bossall, 8 miles NE. of York on the Malton road. The Rev. Dr. Britton, vicar of Bossall, is resident here. The Lobster House Inn, kept by Mr. G. Taylor, is in this township. Population, 135."


"FLAXTON, in the parishes of Bossall and Foston, wapentake of Bulmer a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 2¼ miles SSW. of Foston, 8 miles NE. of York. In the autumn of 1807, a lead box was turned up by the plough in a field near this place, which contained about 300 small Saxon silver coins, in high preservation, some silver rings, and several pieces of spurs. Pop. 299."


"HARTON, in the parish of Bossall, and wapentake of Bulmer; 1¼ miles NW. of Bossall, 9 miles NE. of York. Population, 190."


"LOBSTER HOUSE, an Inn, in the township of Claxton, and parish of Bossall; 2¼ miles W. of Bossall, 7¼ miles from York, 10¾ from Malton, 12 from Easingwold. Here the Magistrates for the wapentake of Bulmer hold their Meetings."


"SAND HUTTON, in the parish of Bossall, and wapentake of Bulmer; (the seat of the Rev. Thomas Cutler Rudston Read.); 2½ miles SW. of Bossall, 7 miles NE. of York. Here is a Chapel of Ease (see Churches for photograph), of which the Rev. James Britton, vicar of Bossall, has the curacy. Population, 202."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014