"BOWES, a parish in the North Riding of Yorkshire, in that part of Yorkshire called Richmondshire, is near the little r. Laver, 1 m. from Barnard's- castle, situate on one of the military Roman ways, and was one of their stations. A castle was built here by one of the Es. of Richmond and Bretagne, to which bel. a thorough toll, and the privilege of a gallows. The antiquity of this place, appears from an old stone in its ch. with an inscription on it to the Emperor Adrian, which was used about the beginning of the last century for a communion-table."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]