Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Bowes:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Bowes:


"GILMONBY, in the parish of Bowes, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; ¼ mile S. of Bowes, 5 miles SW. of Barnard Castle; a small but rural village, built round a neat green, at the head of which stands Gilmonby hall, now occupied as a boarding school, by Mr. M. Horn. Pop. 175."


"KILMOND SCAR, (a scar) in the parish of Bowes, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles E. of Bowes, 3 miles S. of Barnard Castle."


"LAMBHILL, a farm house in the parish of Bowes, and wapentake of Gilling West; 2 miles E. of Bowes, 3 miles SSW. of Barnard Castle."


"LOW FIELD, 3 farm houses in the parish of Bowes, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; ¾ mile E. of Bowes, 5 miles SW. of Barnard Castle"


"MELLWATERS, (East and West) two farm houses in the township and parish of Bowes; 2 miles WSW. of Bowes, 6½ miles from Barnardcastle, (Dur.) 7 from Gretabridge."


"NORTH FIELD, in the parish of Bowes, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles NE. of Bowes, 2 miles WSW. of Barnard Castle."


"SLEIGHTHOLME, in the parish of Bowes, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 3¼ miles SW. of Bowes, 7 miles SW. of Barnard Castle."


"SPITAL HOUSE, (NEW), in the township and parish of Bowes; 3¼ miles W. of Bowes, 8¾ miles from Brough, (Westm.) 10 from Gretabridge."


"SPITTAL HOUSE, in the parish of Bowes, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 4¾ miles W. of Bowes, 9½ miles WSW. of Barnard Castle.

This house stands on the Roman military way, behind which Stainmore rises; the hills, and all around, form a scene of barrenness and deformity. Here is a Roman camp, 300 yards square, with an intrenchment, suppose to have been occupied by the 6th Legion, whose station was at York. Two gates on the north side are entire. The turnpike road leading from Bowes to Brough, was the Roman road. Rey-cross stands within the camp by the edge of the road, and seems to have been a Roman mile-stone, having a square tumulus fronting it on the opposite side of the way. --Gen. Roy's Military Antiquities.

Ralph de Multon founded here, before the year 1171, an hospital, called Rere-Cross Hospital, which was given to the Nunnery of Marrick, and continued parcel of their possessions till the dissolution. --Burton.

It was granted 7th Edward VI. to William Buckton and Roger Marshall. --Mon. Anglia. -- Gales Appen.

For a great number of years there was but one solitary Inn, Spital-house, to cheer the lonely traveller over the Stainmore's Wintry Waste, but within these last 20 years another Inn has sprung up."


"STONEY KELD, (East and West), 2 houses in the parish of Bowes, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1½ miles NW. of Bowes, 5½ miles W. of Barnard Castle."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]