GENUKI Home page    Bowes Parish Bowes
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Bowes:


"GILMONBY, in the parish of Bowes, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; ¼ mile S. of Bowes, 5 miles SW. of Barnard Castle; a small but rural village, built round a neat green, at the head of which stands Gilmonby hall, now occupied as a boarding school, by Mr. M. Horn. Pop. 175."


"KILMOND SCAR, (a scar) in the parish of Bowes, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles E. of Bowes, 3 miles S. of Barnard Castle."


"LAMBHILL, a farm house in the parish of Bowes, and wapentake of Gilling West; 2 miles E. of Bowes, 3 miles SSW. of Barnard Castle."


"LOW FIELD, 3 farm houses in the parish of Bowes, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; ¾ mile E. of Bowes, 5 miles SW. of Barnard Castle"


"MELLWATERS, (East and West) two farm houses in the township and parish of Bowes; 2 miles WSW. of Bowes, 6½ miles from Barnardcastle, (Dur.) 7 from Gretabridge."


"NORTH FIELD, in the parish of Bowes, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles NE. of Bowes, 2 miles WSW. of Barnard Castle."


"SLEIGHTHOLME, in the parish of Bowes, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 3¼ miles SW. of Bowes, 7 miles SW. of Barnard Castle."


"SPITAL HOUSE, (NEW), in the township and parish of Bowes; 3¼ miles W. of Bowes, 8¾ miles from Brough, (Westm.) 10 from Gretabridge."


"SPITTAL HOUSE, in the parish of Bowes, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 4¾ miles W. of Bowes, 9½ miles WSW. of Barnard Castle.

This house stands on the Roman military way, behind which Stainmore rises; the hills, and all around, form a scene of barrenness and deformity. Here is a Roman camp, 300 yards square, with an intrenchment, suppose to have been occupied by the 6th Legion, whose station was at York. Two gates on the north side are entire. The turnpike road leading from Bowes to Brough, was the Roman road. Rey-cross stands within the camp by the edge of the road, and seems to have been a Roman mile-stone, having a square tumulus fronting it on the opposite side of the way. --Gen. Roy's Military Antiquities.

Ralph de Multon founded here, before the year 1171, an hospital, called Rere-Cross Hospital, which was given to the Nunnery of Marrick, and continued parcel of their possessions till the dissolution. --Burton.

It was granted 7th Edward VI. to William Buckton and Roger Marshall. --Mon. Anglia. -- Gales Appen.

For a great number of years there was but one solitary Inn, Spital-house, to cheer the lonely traveller over the Stainmore's Wintry Waste, but within these last 20 years another Inn has sprung up."


"STONEY KELD, (East and West), 2 houses in the parish of Bowes, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1½ miles NW. of Bowes, 5½ miles W. of Barnard Castle."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014