"BRAFFERTON, a parish in the North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the township of Thornton-Bridge in the wapentake of HALLIKELD, the township of Brafferton in the wapentake of BULMER, and the township of Helperby, locally in the same wapentake (but included within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, in the East riding), North riding of the county of YORK, and containing 832 inhabitants, of which number, 178 are in the township of Brafferton, 4 miles N.E. from Boroughbridge. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £9. 15. 6., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The village of Brafferton lies on one side of the road, and that of Helperby on the other; a school on Dr. Bell's plan is connected with both, and is supported chiefly by subscription."
"HELPERBY, a township in that part of the parish of BRAFFERTON, which is within the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK, East riding, though locally in the wapentake of Bulmer, North riding, of the county of YORK, 4 miles E.N.E. from Boroughbridge, containing 611 inhabitants. This township is within the peculiar ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York."
"THORNTON BRIDGE, a township in that part of the parish of BRAFFERTON, which is in the wapentake of HALUKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.E. from Boroughbridge, containing 43 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]