GENUKI Home page    Brafferton Parish<br>main page Brafferton
Parish
main page

BRAFFERTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"BRAFFERTON, a parish, partly in the wapentake of Bulmer, partly in that of Hallikeld, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N.E. of Boroughbridge, its post town. It is a station on the Boroughbridge and Pilmoor branch of the North-Eastern railway. The parish includes the townships of Brafferton, Thornton-Bridge, and Helperby. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, of the value of 307, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Peter."


"HELPERBY, a township in the parish of Brafferton, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Boroughbridge. It is situated on the river Swale."


"THORNTON BRIDGE, a township in the parish of Brafferton, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Boroughbridge, and 1 mile N.W. of Brafferton, on the river Swale."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014